Building Official III
(Regular Full Time – 35 hours per week)
The Planning & Development Services Department, Building & Bylaw Enforcement Division, seeks an individual with outstanding work ethic and a safety-first attitude to join their team. The Building Official III is responsible to perform inspections, plan reviews, interpret codes, standards, provide technical knowledge and expertise to ensure and verify compliance with applicable bylaws, municipal and provincial construction regulations as they relate to fire protection, life safety systems, building structures, health of occupants, and energy efficiency.
The successful candidate will be versatile and experienced with inspections, plan reviews plus sprinkler and plumbing systems to assess and determine compliance. With exceptional attention to detail and savvy technical knowledge the role coordinates the processing of permit applications for building, sprinkler, plumbing permits; discusses construction, alteration and repair requirements with a wide variety of internal and external contacts and acts as a team lead in providing guidance and clarification on technical matters.
- Graduation from an Institute of Technology with a diploma in architectural, building or construction technologies supplemented by a Red Seal Trades Certificate in a related field plus considerable related experience in the building construction industry, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Preference will be given to those who are a Registered Building Official (RBO), registered Professional Engineer (P. Eng.) or a Registered Architect.
- Knowledge of sprinkler, fire alarm, HVAC and electrical systems, building construction practices and materials.
- Thorough knowledge of the applicable sections of the provincial building code, municipal building and zoning bylaws, and departmental policies and procedures governing the work; including NFPA13, NFPA13R, NFPA13D and NFPA96.
- Considerable knowledge of bylaws, regulations and policies governing the issuance of permits.
- Proficiency in the use of computer software programs including Microsoft Office.
- Experience with Tempest/Prospero considered an asset.
- Strong independent judgement and creative decision-making skills.
- Ability to read plans and drawings, interpret and apply the applicable sections of the building code and municipal regulations and bylaws, and suggest corrections and changes where required.
- Demonstrated ability to deal effectively and courteously with owners, builders, registered professionals, the public and staff and to interpret and explain bylaws, regulations and requirements, and to apply conflict management skills when necessary.
- Ability to work cooperatively and amicably in a team environment with a safety-first attitude.
- Ability to mentor and coach technical staff within Division.
- A member in good standing of the Building Officials’ Association of BC with Level 3 Building Official Certification.
- Valid Level 1 Plumbing Official Certification with the Building Officials Association of BC;
- Valid BC Class 5 Driver's License and access to a vehicle.
- Applicants under consideration will be required to consent to a Police Information Check.
The City is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is committed to promoting and preserving a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion. We know that our greatest strengths come from the people who make up our teams. In return for your valued contributions, you can expect a competitive compensation package and the opportunity to work with an outstanding team. The annual wage of this unionized position ranges from $78,600 – $92,863 (2019 rates) with comprehensive benefits offered. If your experience and education have prepared you for success in this role and you are committed to working in a manner that supports a respectful, healthy, and safe environment, we invite you to apply.
Please submit your cover letter, resume, required certifications for consideration by the application deadline.
Thank you for your interest. Only selected applicants will be contacted.
- Address 15322 Buena Vista Avenue White Rock, BC, Canada