Requisition ID: 33074
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Desktop Services Business Analyst works as a member of the Desktop Services team, and is responsible for the development and implementation of system processes and procedures in the Desktop Services Team; performing a variety of workflow, procedural and process analytical work supporting management decisions and work flows; supporting Desktop Services Technicians and Specialists in enhancing the use of enterprise tools and infrastructure. The Business Analyst makes recommendations for changes in methods, processes, and procedures that may impact financial and operational areas as well as staffing work loads, working conditions. The focus of the development and implementation work is to assist the department in creating more efficient and effective ways of doing business and improving client service outcomes for incidents and service requests. Various projects will be assigned by Desktop Services Manager.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs financial analysis such as budgets, cost/benefit (e.g. system changes), and other financial analysis work and provides reports to the management team to support business cases and decisions
- Analyzes business problems and issues, makes recommendations and implements approved solutions for business improvements and systems alternatives
- Consults with internal and external customers to understand their requirements. Researches best practices in the industry. Handles difficult and complex customer issues related to policy and procedures
- Provides on going training, support and guidance to system users, including reconciliations and reporting
- Performs system reviews and tests to ensure system integrity and proper integration across IT infrastructure systems such as SAP, active directory, Service Now, SCCM
- Leads and participates in the implementation of changes resulting from system and business process reviews. These changes may impact the department’s budget, business or operational processes, work procedures, volume and/or conditions of work, as well as staffing levels and roles
- Develops and maintains test scripts and scenarios to ensure adequate testing of system configuration and integration for all patches and releases
- Creates, reviews, edits and updates documentation, instructional and/or public material regularly for technical and procedural accuracy
- Identifies, recommends and implements approved policy and procedures pertaining to service delivery
- Develops and maintains standards for customer service correspondence
- Acts as key liaison with vendors and internal teams for system improvements
- When required, acts for a manager within Desktop Services
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Minimum three years of system implementation experience preferably with Microsoft product and Service Now
- Considerable experience working with implementation of workflows, processes and procedures for a support organization
- Demonstrated experience in implementation of new systems, system changes and/or business changes
- Experience utilizing Word, Excel and Access programs preferred
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Demonstrated knowledge of complex information systems such as SAP, Service Now, Microsoft Endpoint Configuration System to support the City of Vancouver business processes
- Broad knowledge across multiple aspects of the IT service delivery (i.e. organizational structure, key contacts, current business process, supporting systems and services, and others)
- Knowledge of related corporate systems applications and work procedures
- Knowledge of business and systems change implementation, best industry practices, process reengineering planning, and change management techniques
- General understanding of the ITIL modules or other similar IT service delivery methodologies
- Ability to extract data, research information for analysis and interpretation, and develop logical solutions and/or summarizations
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as a member of a team
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure, manage multiple priorities and respond to requests in a timely manner
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of internal and external contacts
- Ability to lead and assist staff and establish effective cross-functional units within the division
- Demonstrated ability to provide effective advice, information and assistance to a wide range of customers
- Strong computer competency, including desktop business applications such as word processing, spreadsheet and databases. Preferably experience with Word, Excel and Access programs
- Ability to handle sensitive issues with tact and diplomacy and to manage confidential information
- Ability to prepare reports in clear and non-technical language and manage supporting details
- Proven problem solving abilities, including consideration and documentation of all possible alternatives and the impacts while maintaining neutrality
- Proven leadership skills and ability to manage project teams, train and coach employees
All City of Vancouver employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire and ongoing employment. Candidates may only be exempted from this requirement if they request and are approved for an accommodation based on a reason related to a Human Rights Code ground (such as disability). Such a request must be made during, not after, the recruitment process.
Business Unit/Department: IT, Digital Strategy & 311 (1070)
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: February, 2022
Position End Date: December, 2023
Application Close: January 21, 2022
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx.. 5-10mins. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a tailored summary of skills and experience related to the position.
- Address 453 W 12th Ave, Vancouver, BC