Director, Investor Relations
Posting Date: April 22, 2021
Closing Date: May 9, 2021
Reporting to the Senior Vice President Investor Relations & Strategic Analysis, the Director is a key member of the Investor Relations team which is the principal contact for institutional investors and research analysts.
Teck is consistently recognized as a top employer for our commitment to a healthy and positive work environment. Our team is focused on fostering a workplace where everyone is included, valued and equipped for the future. In 2021, Teck was proud to be selected as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers for four years in a row, and also named as one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People.
In 2020, Teck was named to Forbes World’s Best Employers List and in 2021, we were recognized in Forbes Canada’s Best Employers 2021 List.
Teck was also named to the Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index in 2021 for the fourth straight year.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Assists in the development and execution of Teck’s annual marketing/investor engagement plan.
- Engages with investors and shareholders
- Responsible for developing strong relationships with shareholders, investors and our covering sell side research analysts
- Responsible for responding to retail shareholder requests for information
- Works with Sustainability and Corporate Affairs to execute Teck’s ESG engagement strategy
- Supervises the quarterly reporting and conference call process and ensures the executive team is well prepared by preparing the presentation, speaking notes and potential Q&A
- Conducts shareholder targeting to identify potential new shareholders, including ESG targeting, and plans engagement
- Drafts presentations, publications and electronic media used in the IR program, including investor presentations
- Works with the website management team to keep company’s IR web pages up-to-date and consistent with the company’s image as a leader in its industry
- Plans investor road shows and investment dealer conference attendance for the senior executive team. Attends conference/roadshow events and is responsible for recording notes from all meetings. Follows up after meetings with existing and potential new shareholders
- Annual IR Day, site visit and modelling workshop planning and execution
- Collaborates with the business units and the finance, legal, sustainability and corporate affairs, corporate development, and marketing groups on the preparation of presentations for the financial community
- Reviews external research reports issued by analysts and provides summary and analysis to management and prepares feedback for the analysts as required
- Responsible for maintaining Teck’s consensus model and providing regular updates on consensus to management
- Monitors trading in the company’s shares (Teck stock surveillance) and analyzes significant changes. Informs senior management in a timely manner when such changes occur
- Presents to internal departments to raise awareness of investor considerations and how they relate to business performance and decision making.
- Works with Corporate Development on transactions to ensure that investor perspectives and issues are contemplated in decision making, structuring and communications.
- Works with Finance and Treasury to facilitate engagement with debt investors, and to advise on equity investor considerations as they relate to balance sheet management, including debt issuance and redemption.
- Informs Teck’s strategy through providing insight as to short and long term market trends, emerging risks and opportunities, and investor perspectives as they relate to the attractiveness of Teck as an investment.
- Reviews peer disclosures to establish best practices in terms of reporting and presentations, and advises as to appropriateness of Teck’s disclosures as they relate to the provision of financial information and associated commentary, including the provision of forward guidance.
- In conjunction with the Legal department, ensures that the investor relations team are, at all times, fully compliant with regulatory requirements, in particular with respect to meeting protocols and selective disclosure.
- Assists in special projects as required
- Bachelor’s degree together with a professional finance designation, preferably an MBA or a CFA
- 10-15 years of relevant experience in either the capital markets or investor relations
- Knowledge of investor relations demonstrated through relevant work experience
- Experience in the mining industry would be an asset
- Strong financial and investment analysis skills with a thorough understanding of financial modeling
- Good presentation skills with the ability to effectively communicate complex financial transactions and strategies
- Excellent writing skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with a high degree of diplomacy and professionalism to maintain good relationships with internal and external audiences
- The ability to work directly with the President & CEO and members of the Senior Management Team to plan and advance initiatives in a wide range of areas
- Be accessible, responsive and act with a sense of urgency
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
- Address 550 Burrard Street, Vancouver, BC, Canada