Requisition ID: 37741
Job Category: Metals
With over six decades of business and technical experience in the mining, energy, and infrastructure sectors, we understand that challenges are changing rapidly in every industry. We respond quickly with solutions that are smarter, more efficient, and innovative. We draw upon our 9,000 staff with experience in over 150 countries to challenge the status quo and create positive change for our clients, our employees, and the communities we serve.
Hatch is currently a highly motivated Engineering Study Manager to join our Mineral Processing Group in our Metals practice providing management, technical leadership and world-class design expertise to a wide variety of Hatch's commodity-based business practices.
The Engineering Study Manager is responsible for engineering and design matters on the project and assists the Project Manager. The Engineering Manager also may need to function as a study manager to manage earlier project development phases, also known as FEL1, FEL2, FEL3, FEED, pre-feasibility or feasibility study phases. The Engineering Study Manager will fill three main roles: manager; technical leader; and communicator.
As Engineering Study Manager, you will be responsible for scope definition and manages the planning, resourcing and scheduling, and progress measurement of all engineering related activities. In addition, you will provide technical leadership, fosters communication, and integrates the disciplines and resolves issues, ensure setup and use of engineering systems, and, the delivery of all technical deliverables to achieve the project objectives within the specified timeframe and budget.
As the successful candidate, key responsibilities will include:
Project set up
- Ensure the multi-disciplined scope of work is developed, documented, and an effective change management system is in place.
- Contribute to the development of the Project Execution Plan (PEP) together with the project leadership team (including procurement, project controls, construction, and commissioning), and allocate roles and responsibilities.
- Develop the project procedures manual applicable to the scope of work, project phase, and client requirements.
Execution and Control
- Actively manage engineering progress through analysis of earned value, cost-performance, and schedule performance metrics
- Ensure that the engineering forecast is regularly updated.
- Provide input into the project monthly report with respect to design progress, cost and issues of concern and recommend changes if required to achieve overall objectives.
- Coordinate with Procurement, Construction and Commissioning personnel early in the design effort to obtain their input and conduct any necessary reviews. Includes coordination of contractor bid document preparation.
- Make contact with client management at key points throughout project to ensure that engineering deliverables are meeting client requirements.
- Raise safety awareness and ensure the design for safety principles are applied to the project.
- Ensure engineering risk assessments and design for safety protocols are carried out and all identified issues are addressed.
- Prepare and analyze engineering performance metrics on a multi-discipline basis. Feedback into the organization.
- Develop lessons learned lists, documentation, and feedback into the organization.
- Assist the project manager and project controls manager in preparing a project close-out report.
You bring to the role:
- BSc/BEng degree in an engineering discipline is required
- Registration as a Professional Engineer in Canada
- Typically 12+ years of experience in a multi-disciplinary environment on major projects with specific focus on mining and mineral processing, oil and gas, thermal or nuclear, water, or other infrastructure projects. Experience in multiple sectors advantageous but not specifically required.
- Typically 4+ years’ experience in managing design engineering teams working on major projects required.
- General knowledge of industry, regulatory standards and design criteria in engineering disciplines.
- Ability to plan, coordinate and organize at an advanced level.
- Knowledge of deliverable development and document control methodologies.
- Knowledge of engineering progress assessment, earned value, and engineering control strategies.
- Ability to adapt to constant change and accommodate high pressure situations to support the team in meeting project objectives.
- An extensive knowledge of administrative practices and strong communication skills across all levels including client representatives.
- Ability to handle complex problem-solving tasks, applying appropriate analysis and consideration of high-level technical detail.
- Ability to manage relationships with key stakeholders involved in the project (including internal and external clients).
- A high emotional quotient (EQ) that can be applied to motivate teams, increase team efficiency, and aid on conflict resolution.
Why join us?
- Develop innovation partnerships
- Think globally, work locally
- Engage with people who make a difference
What we offer you?
- Flexible work environment.
- Long term career development
We are committed to fostering a workforce in each of our locations that reflects the diversity of the communities in which we operate. Hatch is an Equal Opportunity Employer that considers employment applicants without regard to age, race, colour, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, disability or any other protected status. If you have any special needs requirements, please let us know. We will do our utmost to accommodate, in accordance with applicable local legislation.
- Address 1066 W Hastings St Suite 400, Vancouver, BC, Canada