The City of Courtenay invites applications for the position of “Finance Clerk” in the Financial Services Department. This is a union position subject to the terms and conditions of the current collective agreement between the City and CUPE Local 556.
The Finance Clerk’s responsibilities include preparing utility and annual property and parcel tax levy billings; processing accounts payables and accounts receivables; performing general payroll support functions; performing general and specific bookkeeping and accounting tasks and maintaining various records; performing reception, telephone switchboard, and cashier duties for City Hall.
Minimum qualifications include:
- 2-year Business Diploma (preferably with an Accounting option) or completion of second year equivalency of CPA, CPA-CA, CPA-CGA, or CPA-CMA
- Relevant accounting, bookkeeping and/or payroll related certificates or memberships would be an asset
- Sound (3 years) experience in accounting and bookkeeping functions supplemented with reception and cash handling experience
- Thorough knowledge of various office equipment and office and financial computer software programs
- Sound knowledge of accounting and bookkeeping practices including double entry bookkeeping and reconciliation of accounts and sub-ledgers
- Sound knowledge of legislation and regulations governing general accounting practices
- Strong interpersonal, communication, organizational, time management, and computer and keyboarding skills
- Ability to accurately process and reconcile cash
- Ability to deal with public in a courteous and tactful manner
- Ability to work well as a member of a team and independently
- Ability to multi-task and cope effectively with deadlines
- Criminal record check
This is a regular, full-time position available immediately. The current hourly wage rate based on a 35-hour workweek is $31.92.
Interested persons should submit a resume and cover letter by clicking on the APPLY button below no later than August 15, 2021.
Notice Posted: July 20, 2021
- Address 830 Cliffe Avenue, Courtenay, BC, Canada