The goal of the City of Burnaby and its employees is to consistently deliver first class service and services to our community. With this in mind, we hire people who share the same passion, those with the drive and determination to grow with and contribute to our already exceptional team. People like you!
The Burnaby Fire Department is committed to providing the highest level of fire-related emergency services to protect the life and property of the citizens of Burnaby. In addition to attending emergency calls and extinguishing fires, Burnaby Firefighters are actively involved in public education and fire prevention in order to raise awareness about fire safety. We are now accepting applications from interested applicants wanting to join our team of dedicated professionals who are involved in making a positive difference in the lives of the people we serve.
Interested applicants must ensure they meet the following required qualifications by the application deadline and the required qualifications must still be current and valid by date of hire:
- Canadian Citizenship or Landed Immigrant status
- Minimum High School graduation or equivalent
- Valid BC Class 3 Driver’s Licence (for automatic vehicles) without restrictions, with air brake endorsement
- NFPA 1001
- No more than 6 points on your safe driving record in the last 3 years at the time of your application
- No convictions of a relevant criminal offense for which a pardon has not be granted
- Current/valid EMA, First Responder Licence (formerly FR3) or higher
- Minimum 2 years of work experience
- Pleasure Craft Operator Card (PCOC) is considered an asset
In addition to these attributes, we are looking for individuals who demonstrate integrity and honesty, reliability and motivation; who are continuously willing to learn and improve and who demonstrate a deep sense of commitment and responsibility to serving the public while working in a team environment.
- Interviews: July 12 – 23
- 2-day Orientation: Group 1: September 18 & 25, Group 2: September 19 & 26, Group 3: September 20 & 27
- Physical Abilities Test: Walk-through October 2, Test: October 3
- Ride-Along: October 8 – November 7
- Fire Chief interviews: November 22 – 26
- Recruit class start date: January 10, 2022
Please ensure your resume is updated before applying. At the time of application, you will have a series of supplementary questions to answer which will be used in assessing your candidature. We will not be able to make any changes on your behalf once you have applied. We kindly request you review the Burnaby Fire Department careers website prior to contacting Human Resources due to high call volume.
Please apply online by May 28, 2021
Copies of relevant professional certificates, degrees, or tickets will be required as part of the application package.
Applicants under consideration will be required to consent to a criminal records check. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
Please contact Human Resources at 604-294-7303 if you do not receive a confirmation email within one hour of submitting your application online.
- Address 4949 Canada Way, Burnaby, BC, Canada