Mackenzie Co-op is hiring a General Manager for our Co-operative located in Mackenzie, British Columbia.
Who we are:
Co-op does business differently. As a co-operative, we believe in working together to serve Western Canadians, delivering profits back to our members and community and investing in sustainable growth. We are locally owned but have the support and buying power of Federated Co-operatives Limited (FCL). To find out more about who we are visit us at www.mackenzieco-op.crs.
Mackenzie is a beautiful, scenic, and remote community of 3,500 friendly people in the Central Interior of British Columbia and is located about two hours north of Prince George. Nestled on the West side of the Rocky Mountains, Mackenzie is surrounded by outdoor recreational activities with world class snow and facilities for downhill and Nordic skiing or snowmobiling. Countless undeveloped lakes and streams are perfect for fishing and water sports in the summer and the Rockies offer great alpine hiking, and countless areas for camping. It is the perfect place to live, work, and play. For a closer look, visit https://districtofmackenzie.ca
What you’ll do:
Using effective communication skills and managerial strategies, the General Manager will lead a dynamic team with diverse job descriptions in different locations: food store, pharmacy, and cardlock/convenience store.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the General Manager leads the development of Mackenzie Co-op’s direction, goals and tactical operational plans with guidance and approval supplied by the Board. The primary responsibilities of this role are encompassed in, and not limited to, the following:
- Be responsible for the overall strength and financial health of the co-operative by developing and implementing the budgets and managing operations to meet and exceed budgetary guidelines.
- Implement and utilize operational best practices for the co-operative, continuously improving execution of best practices.
- Develop, maintain, and encourage positive and effective relationships with team members and leaders, FCL business partners, peer General Managers, stakeholders, members, external customers and the community.
- Develop and communicate the operational plans to team members and leaders, with awareness of the impact to the staff and the co-operative.
- Lead, engage and manage Mackenzie Co-op’s talent through effective leadership and optimal people practices.
Why it matters:
Our team provides a range of products and services to support our member-owners. Through the work that we do, we help to build, fuel, feed and grow Western Canadian communities together.
Who you are:
You are a recognised leader in Retail Store Operations and have:
- A Bachelor of Business Administration/Commerce with 5+ years of relevant experience with 1 to 2 years focusing on leading projects or people within the retail industry or a combination of education and experience.
- Strong skills in managing budgets, timelines, people and processes.
- Robust business and organizational savvy, and an ability to plan and align resources.
- Demonstrated ability to ensure accountability, manage conflict and balance stakeholder needs.
- Experience leading in a unionized environment is an asset.
- You are honest and trustworthy, results-oriented and strive to be the best in what you do.
- You believe in building relationships and collaborating to deliver solutions that matter most, and you recognize the value that different perspectives bring to meet shared objectives.
Our Team Members receive competitive salaries, a comprehensive benefits package and an employer-contributed pension plan. The General Manager role is eligible for company housing. We encourage our Team Members to take advantage of learning opportunities, to grow and develop and to foster a culture of teamwork and innovation.
At Co-op, we embrace diversity and inclusion, and we’re working to create a workplace that is as diverse as the communities we serve. We support and provide an environment that allows all to bring their whole selves to work.