Under the direction of a Registered Nurse or another regulated healthcare professional, performs a variety of non-direct and/or non-clinical healthcare supports to clients, residents, families, and/or visitors in long term care, assisted living and home settings in accordance with the established care plan and safety requirements.
[b]Please ensure you attach a recent resume when applying for this position. [/b]
The Program will involve participants completing their care aide certifications at a post-secondary institution wile also gaining valuable work experience. This program can take up to 18 months to complete.
This Position consists of a combination of paid education periods as well as worked hours within the designated Long Term Care Site.
Some of the Conditions relating to this Position are:
• Completing an RCMP and Criminal Record Check for working with youth and vulnerable adults (CRC)
• Meeting the College admission requirements for the Health Care Assistant Program.
• Signing a 12 month return of service agreement
• Signing the Heath Care Support Worker Certificate Program Waiver
• Completing a Single Site Order Declaration if applicable.
• Pass an English proficiency test if English is your second language
• Not be currently performing a Health Care Aide role and have not previously completed the HCA educational program in BC
During the Working Components:
• You will be assigned to a 37.5 hours/week schedule
• Northern Health may modify your work schedule as required.
During the Education Components:
• You must have access to a computer at home with good internet service
• You will not be scheduled to work shifts in the health Care Support Worker role.
• Instead of wages from Northern Health, you will receive a stipend from Northern Health funded by the Ministry of Health. This stipend is non-pensionable.
• Ministry of Health will pay the tuition, fees, and cost of necessary books for the Education Components of the Program
Following Successful Completion of this Heath Careers Access Program:
• You will become registered in the BC Care Aide Registry
• The term of your Health Care Support Worker position will be deemed to have ended
• You will then be placed on the care aide casual list at the site/unit/program where you worked as an HCSW
• No requirement by Northern Health for displacement or layoff rights under the Collective Agreement
• You will immediately apply on vacancies and accept a regular care aide position as required under the Return of Service Agreement.