Under the direction of a Registered Nurse or another regulated healthcare professional, performs a variety of non-direct and/or non-clinical healthcare supports to clients, residents, families, and/or visitors in long term care and assisted living settings in accordance with the established care plan and safety requirements.
[b]Please ensure you attach a recent resume when applying for this position. [/b]
The Program will involve participants completing their care aide certifications at a post-secondary institution wile also gaining valuable work experience. This program can take up to 18 months to complete.
This Position consists of a combination of paid education periods as well as worked hours within the designated Long Term Care Site.
[b]Some of the Conditions relating to this Position are:[/b]
• Completing an RCMP and Criminal Record Check for working with youth and vulnerable adults (CRC)
• Meeting the College admission requirements for the Health Care Assistant Program.
• Signing a 12 month return of service agreement
• Signing the Heath Care Support Worker Certificate Program Waiver
• Completing a Single Site Order Declaration if applicable.
• Pass an English proficiency test if English is your second language
• Not be currently performing a Health Care Aide role and have not previously completed the HCA educational program in BC
During the Working Components:
• You will be assigned to a 37.5 hours/week schedule
• Northern Health may modify your work schedule as required.
During the Education Components:
• You must have access to a computer at home with good internet service
• You will not be scheduled to work shifts in the health Care Support Worker role.
• Instead of wages from Northern Health, you will receive a stipend from Northern Health funded by the Ministry of Health. This stipend is non-pensionable.
• Ministry of Health will pay the tuition, fees, and cost of necessary books for the Education Components of the Program
Following Successful Completion of this Heath Careers Access Program:
• You will become registered in the BC Care Aide Registry
• The term of your Health Care Support Worker position will be deemed to have ended
• You will then be placed on the care aide casual list at the site/unit/program where you worked as an HCSW
• No requirement by Northern Health for displacement or layoff rights under the Collective Agreement
• You will immediately apply on vacancies and accept a regular care aide position as required under the Return of Service Agreement.
[b]These Healthcare Support Worker Training Opportunities may have multiple start dates over the next 18 to 24 months throughout Northern Health. You must apply on this posting to be considered for this program.[/b]