The City of Courtenay is an innovative, vibrant and growing City that works together to provide opportunities and excellent services making our community a great place to live, work and do business. The City of Courtenay is proud to be a leader in Sound Municipal Asset Management practices. The City fosters a positive work environment for everyone on our team. Our organization’s culture is demonstrated by our Corporate Mission and Core Values.
As a part of the Corporate Support Services Department, the Human Resources Division is responsible for planning, developing and leading the implementation of human resource policies, standards and practices to support the accomplishment of the Corporation’s goals. Human Resources provides professional services in human resources planning and management, labour and employee relations, compensation and benefits, occupational health, safety, and wellness.
This position is responsible for recommending strategies to attract and retain top talent to support the strategic direction of the Corporation; recommending individual talent acquisition and retention strategies across all levels of the organization; providing administration of the employee benefits and Employee & Family Assistance programs; providing benefit administration for union and excluded staff and coordinating the full cycle recruitment process to meet the various staffing goals, working in partnership with internal stakeholders and external partners. This position is confident in providing expert advice on recruitment processes and practices.
The Successful Candidate Will Have:
- Post-secondary education such as a diploma and/or degree in Human Resource Management, Business Administration (with a major in Human Resources) or a related discipline
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
- Considerable (5 years) experience in full cycle talent acquisition and retention within a wide range of positions including some senior level positions, and including demonstrated experience in strategy development and implementation
- Sound experience in benefit administration
- Sound experience working in a unionized environment
- Sound experience in providing consultation and advice to hiring managers
- Sound experience in interpreting, updating and applying HR policy, legislation and regulations
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of the methods, best practices and principles of full cycle talent acquisition and retention activities
- Thorough knowledge of collective agreement, labour law, employment standards, human rights and other legislation related to wage and benefit administration
- Strong computer skills and knowledge including MS Office, HRIS or other database programs
- Strong interviewing, investigative, analytical, and problem solving skills
- Strong project management skills
- Strong interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work effectively under pressure, with changing priorities, deadlines, and to readily adapt to change
- Proven ability to research subject matter
- Ability to develop and present talent acquisition and retention concepts, strategies, and solutions to business leaders and senior management, while commanding their attention and respect
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information appropriately
- Class 5 Driver’s License
- Ability to work well as a member of a team and independently
- CPHR Designation
- Payroll Designation
The successful candidate will be requested to provide a current Police Information Check (PIC).
What We Offer
The opportunity to live and work in a community surrounded by natural beauty along with an attractive salary and a comprehensive benefit package including:
- A comprehensive health benefits plan
- Employee and Family Assistance Plan
- Municipal Pension Plan
- Cumulative Sick Leave Plan
- Annual Vacation and Other Paid Leaves
- Professional Development & Training Opportunities
If your skills and abilities align with this opportunity and you are excited about taking on a new challenge, please submit your resume and cover letter through the APPLY button below.
Closing Date: May 31, 2021
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those short listed will be contacted.
- Address 830 Cliffe Avenue, Courtenay, BC, Canada