Requisition ID: 26473
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
The City of Vancouver’s Legal Services Department has a vacancy for an Intermediate Lawyer (Development & Real Estate) (minimum 5 years current related experience):
Responsibilities include: providing legal advice to City departments and related Boards and handling a broad range of matters with an emphasis on:
- major land development projects, where the City is acting in a regulatory capacity through the rezoning, subdivision and development permit processes and/or as property owner in the construction of buildings and infrastructure;
- complex land exchanges and development agreements to increase the supply of affordable market and non-market housing;
- complex air space subdivisions for mixed-use projects;
- purchase and sale of City lands;
- legal issues associated with the City’s revenue generating mechanisms, such as development cost levies, community amenity contributions and real property taxation;
- drafting/interpreting land development-related by-laws;
- bankruptcy matters.
Applicants must have: a Professional Law Degree and membership in the Law Society of B.C.; excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the proven ability to manage conflict situations effectively; strong organizational skills, with a proven ability to meet deadlines in a multiple task environment; a demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships; and PC computer skills.
Compensation includes a competitive annual salary (commensurate with years and relevancy of experience) and an excellent pension and benefits package.
Please send resumes and direct questions to: Frances Connell, City Solicitor and Director of Legal Services, City of Vancouver by mail: 453 West 12th Avenue, Vancouver, BC, V5Y 1V4 or by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Business Unit/Department: Law Department (1040)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Application Close: March 14, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. If you would like to be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity, please apply through our careers site.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Address 453 W 12th Ave, Vancouver, BC