At the Liquor Distribution Branch (LDB) our vision of ‘Service. Relationships. Results.’ is all about providing a valued service, building strong relationships with our stakeholders, and achieving greater results for the province. The LDB is one of two branches of government responsible for the cannabis and liquor industry of B.C. We operate the wholesale distribution of beverage alcohol and non-medical cannabis within the province, as well as the household retail brands of BC Liquor Stores and BC Cannabis Stores.
We employ nearly 5,000 people in over 200 communities and have hundreds of career opportunities spanning our entire wholesale, retail and corporate operations – from supply chain logistics, to high-tech solutions, and everything in between. The LDB has been named one of BC’s Top Employers 12 times over for offering exceptional places to work, flexible work hours and earned days off, extended health and dental benefits, maternity and parental leave top-up payments, a pension program, in-house professional and leadership development, and subsidies for professional accreditation.
The information technology (IT) team is highly customer focused and directly supports four distinct lines of business: retail liquor, wholesale liquor, cannabis, and corporate. These line of business IT teams are supported overall by both a Chief Information Security Officer and a Chief Technical Officer and their respective departments to ensure the organization prioritizes security and innovation.
At present the technology team consists of more than 200 full-time employees, and has also adopted a multi-sourcing strategy and leverages external expertise, Cloud SaaS based services and government shared services as appropriate.
The teams integrate, maintain and enhance more than 80 business systems on a hybrid on-premises and cloud infrastructure. These include:
- Merchandising and retail store systems that process 40 million plus customer transactions per year.
- Wholesale, distribution and warehouse systems that enable the movement of 17 million plus cases per year.
- Corporate finance systems to service an annual budget of approximately $3 billion and HR and payroll systems to service more than 5000 employees.
The Senior Developer provides analytical and programming support to the LDB for the design, development, maintenance and enhancement of corporate, wholesale and retail business applications, as well as complex enterprise integration solutions. Senior Developers specialize in one of five areas: SOA/OSB; Java; .Net; eBiz; or Integration.
Applications vary in complexity, cost and business significance entailing both short and long term projects. Projects may be either of a self-contained nature or ones which require assigning/coordinating/supervising work performed by other assigned Developers to support business information objectives in a multi-product, multi-outlet, high volume retail, wholesale, or corporate organization. The Senior Developers lead the development of systems and changes/enhancements through the various phases of the systems development life cycle (SDLC). This position is leading or participating in the design, development, testing and implementation of assigned projects or work requests. The Senior Developers work with senior technical staff to ensure DA and DBA requirements are satisfied. This position also works with other Developers to ensure development and standards are maintained and required documents, configurations and code are delivered as necessary.
Successful completion of a criminal record check is required.
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job description, also located in the Additional Information section at the bottom of the posting.
An eligibility list for permanent or temporary future opportunities may be established.
Education and Experience:
A degree or diploma in information technology, computer science, or similar field with a minimum of five years of recent, related experience*.
An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered, i.e., eight years or greater of recent, related experience* and relevant coursework.
*Recent, related experience must have occurred in the last eight years and must include the following:
- Experience with PL/SQL or T-SQL development.
- Experience with Application Servers such as Tomcat, WebSphere, Weblogic or Jboss.
- Experience with MS SQL or Postgres SQL or Oracle DB.
- Experience with Java/J2EE, Spring Boot, Bootstrap and Hibernate development.
Preference may be given to those candidates with any of the following experience:
- Experience with Agile or Scrum processes.
- Experience with C# using .NET (.NET Core or .Net 4.x).
- Experience with Web Services such as SOAP or RESTful API’s.
- Experience in Oracle Service Bus and Oracle SOA and ESB integration toolset.
- Experience in Service Oriented Architecture (SOA).
- ASP.NET Framework and related Web technologies.
- Experience in SSO (Single sign-on) / federated security or JSON Web Tokens.
How to Apply & Application Requirements:
In order to be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education and experience as outlined in the Position Requirements section above. Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the knowledge, skills, abilities and competencies as outlined in the attached Job Description.
A cover letter is required as part of your application. The content and/or format of your cover letter may be evaluated as part of the assessment process.
Ensure your resume includes your educational accomplishments, employment history including start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and any relevant information that relates to the job to which you are applying.
- Compensation $71,298.93 - $81,387.14 per annum plus 6.6% Temporary Market Adjustment ($76,004.55 to $86,758.61) CAD $71,298.93 - $81,387.14 per annum plus 6.6% Temporary Market Adjustment ($76,004.55 to $86,758.61) Month