Requisition ID: 34632
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
This is skilled shop and field work at the Journeyperson level, performing variety of welding, brazing, burning, drilling and tapping tasks relative, to the Fabricating Trade and specialized related tasks involving maintenance, repair and alterations at major recreational facilities, buildings, structures and marinas, etc. This position must be able to effectively direct subordinates and work with minimal supervision on a variety of tasks including, but not limited to fabricating tasks both in the shop and at all parks facilities, fabricating and welding in the construction of backstops, fences, gates and alterations, repair and maintenance of buildings, rinks, pools, marinas and park structures.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
The Journeyperson Metal Fabrication performs duties using innovative techniques, best practices and materials to improve quality, reduce costs, and improve productivity. Must have ability to read and work from blueprints and sketches. Provides estimates of work and performs related work, as required.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of grade 10 supplemented by technical courses related to the work with considerable Journeyperson experience.
- Trades Qualifications recognized in British Columbia with an Interprovincial Seal in the Metal Fabricating Trade.
- Recognized ITA Welding Ticket required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of the standard practices, methods, tools, materials and equipment used in the metal fabricator trade.
- Thorough knowledge of the use and care of tools and equipment in forging, finishing and fitting a variety of metal parts and objects in the maintenance, overhaul and repair of construction and maintenance equipment.
- Considerable knowledge of the hazards and proper safety precautions of the trade.
- Ability to weld cast iron.
- Ability to work from sketches, blueprints and oral and written instructions.
- Ability to lay-out and make patterns.
- Ability to effectively supervise one or more subordinates engaged in less complex metal fabricating work.
- Ability to fit and repair body panels.
- Advanced skill in the use and care of the tools, materials and equipment used in forging, welding, cutting, hardening, tempering, shaping, bending and otherwise working metals.
- Ability to operate vehicles and heavy duty equipment.
- Ability to perform heavy manual labour.
A current and valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License or higher and a Satisfactory National Safety Code driving record
- 5 years accumulation of no more than 9 points, not in excess of 3 points per single year
- 3 years accumulation of no more than 1 preventable work related driving or equipment operating accident in any single year
- Employees who do not demonstrate a satisfactory driving record will have their application reviewed in more detail
All City of Vancouver employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire and ongoing employment. Candidates may only be exempted from this requirement if they request and are approved for an accommodation based a reason related to a Human Rights Code ground (such as disability). Such a request must be made during, not after, the recruitment process.
Business Unit/Department: Board of Parks & Recreation (1400)
Affiliation: CUPE 1004 Parks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: February, 2022
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-375: $41.95 per hour
Application Close: January 16, 2022
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx.. 5-10mins. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a tailored summary of skills and experience related to the position.
- Address 453 W 12th Ave, Vancouver, BC