Requisition ID: 42253
Job Category: Metals
With over six decades of business and technical experience in the mining, energy, and infrastructure sectors, we understand that challenges are changing rapidly in every industry. We respond quickly with solutions that are smarter, more efficient, and innovative. We draw upon our 9,000 staff with experience in over 150 countries to challenge the status quo and create positive change for our clients, our employees, and the communities we serve.
The Tailings and Mine Waste Management (Tailings & MW Mgmt.) Practice group at Hatch is seeking to hire a junior to intermediate level, Geotechnical Tailings Engineer to become part of our expanding Geotechnical Discipline in our Vancouver Office .This role would suit a highly motivated professional with a strong technical focus, who is interested in supporting the development of the practice and expanding the capability within the Canadian cluster of an existing team of specialists in tailings and mine waste management made of geotechnical, hydrotechnical, mining, geoscientists, and process engineers around the world. Reporting will be to the Global Practice Leader in Tailings & MW Mgmt.
- Support engineers carrying out projects requiring geotechnical work: site investigations, dam foundation design and construction, slope stabilization, drain design and construction.
- Develop geotechnical investigation programs and support project engineers
- Participate in the preparation of geotechnical studies and engineering reports
- Responsible for the assessment of the slope stability under static and earthquake loadings;
- Responsible for predicting water table location in tailings storage facilities with different tailings technologies;
- Support the project team in interrogating geotechnical models of tailings storage facilities;
- Support the project team in questioning geotechnical issues such as: settlements, liquefaction potential, slope stabilization, pore pressure generation, excavation and backfilling procedures, and related problems;
- Support field operations through supervision and monitoring of boreholes, in situ tests, piezocone soundings, reconnaissance trenches, as well as miscellaneous construction work such as tailings storage construction, subgrade compaction assessment, installation of geosynthetics, etc.;
- Conduct limit equilibrium analyses under a variety of loading conditions
- Support the project team in the development of deformation analyses under static and earthquake loadings;
- Support intermediate and senior engineers in data analysis, report preparation, etc;
- Potential to perform other tasks as part of your role in the team.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s or post-graduate degree(s) in Civil, Geotechnical, Geological or Mining Engineering from an accredited University;
- Minimum of 1-2 years’ experience in a similar role
- Construction/field experience (construction quality assurance, drilling or oversite of operational activities) a bonus;
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills. Preferred bilingual proficiency in Spanish or Portuguese;
- Works well and seamlessly in an international team with a strong client focus;
- Proficient in GeoStudio package, slide and advance use of Excel. Preferred abilities with computer programming in Python or Visual Basic;
- Ability to travel internationally; and
- Valid passport preferably with international recognition with visa for Canada as well as a valid driver’s license.
We are committed to fostering a workforce in each of our locations that reflects the diversity of the communities in which we operate. Hatch is an Equal Opportunity Employer that considers employment applicants without regard to age, race, colour, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, disability or any other protected status. If you have any special needs requirements, please let us know. We will do our utmost to accommodate, in accordance with applicable local legislation.
- Address 1066 W Hastings St Suite 400, Vancouver, BC, Canada