The goal of the City of Burnaby and its employees is to consistently deliver first class service and services to our community. With this in mind, we hire people who share the same passion, those with the drive and determination to grow with and contribute to our already exceptional team. People like you!
This is an exciting opportunity to join the Signs & Markings division of the Engineering Department an auxiliary Labourer. Duties of Labourers working in our Signs & Road Markings division include, but are not restricted to:
- Maintenance of roadway traffic signs , including removal, repositioning, fastening, and installation
- Installation and maintenance of roadway traffic markings, including paint, adhesive, thermoplastic, and torch down
- Traffic control work in construction sites and for emergency closures
- Vegetation control and/or rough landscaping, digging holes for the installation of street signs and posts; breaking concrete and asphalt with steel bar or jackhammer; backfilling holes with dirt or cement.
- Operating a variety of City vehicles used in transporting equipment, parts, materials, supplies, tools to job sites, loading and unloading material, supplies and equipment.
- Performs other related work as required
Qualifications include up to high school graduation, or an equivalent combination of training and experience. The position requires a candidate to possess knowledge and skill in the methods, techniques, materials, tools and equipment used in traffic related construction and maintenance work; ability to understand and effectively carry out simple oral instructions. This position involves continuous heavy physical work in all types of weather conditions, so sufficient physical strength, stamina and coordination are required. Other desired attributes include safe work practices, excellent teamwork skills and the ability to communicate effectively, particularly when dealing with the public. We are looking for traffic-related and/or residential and commercial laboring experiences; including working with street or road marking; traffic control experience; traffic sign installation and maintenance; plus construction and hands-on experience with related tools and equipment as well as any certifications (e.g. first aid, post-secondary, etc.) and any apprenticeship status held. A valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License is required. Additional preferred certifications include WHMIS, Transportation of Dangerous Goods, Fall Protection and TCP. A Class 3 BC Driver’s License with air brake endorsement is also an asset.
The position will require the flexibility to work a variety of shifts weekly depending on the weather and our own operational scheduling requirements. This may include an incumbent scheduled for extended hours (with the possibility of overtime). Shifts may be scheduled by the department seven days a week as either day shifts, afternoon shifts, over night shifts (graveyard), and also late into the evenings and on weekends as required.
Hourly Wage: $29.40 + 12% in lieu of benefits.
Please apply online at www.burnaby.ca/careers. This posting will remain open until all positions are filled.
Please contact Human Resources at 604-294-7303 if you do not receive a confirmation email within one hour of submitting your application
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted.
Copies of relevant professional certificates, degrees, or tickets will be required at the time of the interview.
- Address 4949 Canada Way, Burnaby, BC, Canada