Reporting to the Director, Finance, Reporting and Compliance, the Manager, Finance, Technical Accounting and Compliance has significant responsibilities associated with the oversight of Teck’s consolidated financial reporting and compliance processes.
The successful candidate will be skilled at tasks related to the preparation of our external financial statements, which includes resolving technical accounting issues, implementation of new accounting standards, reviewing and preparing complex financial models, liaising with auditors, and collaborating with various stakeholders across Teck on projects with financial implications. The successful candidate should also have experience with designing, implementing and maintaining financial reporting controls under requirements of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 (SOX). With one direct and two indirect reports, the successful candidate should have leadership and management skills to encourage professional development within the team.
Quarterly and Annual Financial Reporting
- Coordinate, prepare and review our quarterly and annual consolidated financial statements and notes. This includes the resolution of complex technical accounting issues during the accelerated timelines for the quarter.
- Liaise with external auditors to ensure the audit proceeds smoothly.
Technical Accounting and Modelling
- Prepare or review accounting treatment position papers for complex accounting issues, which may include acquisitions and divestitures, transactions, significant contracts, provisions or financial instruments.
- Prepare or review complex accounting analysis and adjustments for areas of significant estimation, including valuation models for impairment, deferred stripping, defined benefit pension plans, borrowing costs and hedging.
- Lead a team to implement new accounting standards across Teck as they are issued.
- Develop and maintain Teck’s accounting policies and guidance documents and ensure compliance across the organization.
- Develop and provide training on accounting and internal controls matters for stakeholders across Teck.
- Oversee SOX compliance for the Vancouver head office accounting function, by designing, implementing and maintaining financial reporting controls and related documentation.
- Provide oversight and guidance on SOX compliance and any required internal control remediation across Teck. Liase with control owners to ensure remediation is timely and appropriate.
- Discuss and resolve SOX compliance matters with internal and external auditors.
Projects with financial implications
- Collaborate with various stakeholders across Teck, including corporate development, business units, tax, legal, treasury and other departments on projects with financial implications. Prepare and provide accounting implications analyses in a clear and understandable manner.
- In addition to preparing accounting analysis, be the project manager for ad hoc projects, by developing a work plan, coordinating resources, identifying risks, and executing the plan to address risks to ensure the project can be completed on schedule. This will require strong influencing skills to collaborate with various stakeholders to achieve the common goal.
- Be a courageous safety leader, by adhering to and sponsoring safety and environmental rules and procedures.
- Be a senior leader in issues resolution for all responsibilities listed above. The manager will be responsible for analyzing issues with a big picture approach, but also be responsible for reviewing the details if required.
- Manage, support and coach team members to ensure they can achieve their development goals by providing timely and constructive feedback.
- A CPA, CA designation, experience in a Big 4 accounting firm, and 10 years of post-qualification experience focused on technical accounting matters. Strong academic and research skills are necessary.
- Expert level knowledge and understanding of IFRS.
- Strong understanding of SOX legislation and internal controls over financial reporting, including PCAOB requirements.
- Ability to effectively manage a team and support their growth.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to take initiative and multitask.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills capable of creating public disclosure documents and delivering presentations.
- Strong computer skills, particularly Microsoft Office. Interest in learning new financial reporting systems.
- Strong understanding of the mining business and of financial markets and instruments is an asset.
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal and zinc, as well as investments in energy assets.
Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK. Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources.
- Address 550 Burrard Street, Vancouver, BC, Canada