Requisition ID: 27034
Company: Vancouver Public Library
Worksite: Central Library, Information Services
The Vancouver Public Library (VPL) is the third largest public library system in Canada, with 800 staff members offering services at 21 branches across the city. VPL values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly service. Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive, and rewarding workplace.
Reporting to the Director, Library Experience, the Manager, Information Services is responsible for information services at VPL, including system-wide planning, development, implementation and evaluation of information service delivery models that encompass customer service excellence. This position oversees VPL’s fee based research service, InfoAction and the library’s Special Collections. The Manager is responsible for the management and operation of information services at the Central Library, and in cooperation with other Managers, ensures efficient and effective delivery of library service at the Central Library. They ensures that the leadership and management of the human, financial and material resources is in keeping with the mission, values and goals of the Vancouver Public Library.
The incumbent is part of the management team at the Library and participates in the creation and maintenance of a respectful and inclusionary workplace, setting expectations for the conduct of staff that adhere to the Library’s policies and procedures.
- Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science from an ALA accredited library school.
- Post-secondary courses in management studies.
Required Knowledge, Ability and Skills:
- Thorough knowledge of current trends and industry best practices in areas of responsibility.
- Current knowledge of library service, administration and management. Strong commitment to serving clients; open, pragmatic and responsive to clients and community.
- Demonstrated ability to manage the delivery of library services and to effectively manage multiple projects and priorities at the same time.
- Demonstrated record of achieving strategic outcomes in a timely manner.
- Ability to be innovative and flexible in a rapidly changing library environment, and to assist staff to participate in and be open to change.
- Demonstrated level of professionalism and confidentiality with strong ethics.
- Excellent communication skills both oral and written.
- Excellent conflict management and problem solving skills; demonstrated business negotiation skills.
- Knowledge of financial management methods including program costing, budget forecasting and monitoring of expenses.
- Proficient with programs including Microsoft Office, library technology such as integrated library systems and public interfaces.
Five years recent relevant experience, including a minimum of three years experience in a supervisory position; demonstrated leadership and managerial skills.
Employment Type: Regular Full-Time
Salary: $96,863 to $121,079 annually
Schedule: 35 hours/week
Closing date: Monday, March 8, 2021 at 11:59pm
While the Library thanks you in advance, only those candidates being considered will be contacted.
As the Vancouver Public Library is responsible for the well-being of its patrons, a Police Record Check clearance is a condition of employment. Please refer to our policy for further information. Personal information collected is used in accordance with the BC Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Vancouver Public Library values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve. Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
VPL Safety Protocols for Interviews:
In order to ensure the safety and well-being of staff during the pandemic we are offering the option of in-person or virtual interviews. Virtual interviews will be conducted over Zoom. Zoom interviews may be conducted from home or from the Central Library where a computer with video camera will be available.
For staff who prefer in-person interviews, we have the following safe Interviewing during the Pandemic protocols:
- Only come to your interview if you are feeling well – if you are feeling unwell contact firstname.lastname@example.org to reschedule
- Expect to be asked the following questions when you are contacted for an interview and on the day of your interview:
- Have you travelled outside of Canada or had close contact with anyone that has travelled outside Canada in the past 14 days?
- Do you have a fever, sore throat, or difficulty breathing?
- Have you had close contact with anyone with a respiratory illness or a confirmed or probable case of COVID 19?
- Interviews will be scheduled in a staggered manner to minimize contact between candidates
- Candidates should arrive only 5 minutes before their scheduled interview time to minimize time spent in waiting areas
- Candidates and each interviewer will maintain at least two meters (six feet) of physical distance between each other
- Only Interview rooms that can accommodate this physical distancing will be used
- Candidates and Interviewers may choose to wear face masks as a protective measure
- Antibacterial gel will be provided to candidates as soon as they enter the HR area
- We will no longer be shaking hands at the introduction and conclusion of the interview
- Where to sit will be clearly indicated and where possible chairs with hard surfaces and without arm rests will be used
- Candidates are asked to bring only what they need to the interview including water (as a glass of water will no longer be offered)
- High-touch areas (e.g. the hard surfaces of the chair and table) will be wiped down after each interview with disinfecting wipes
- Address 453 W 12th Ave, Vancouver, BC