The Corporate Support Services Department at the City of Courtenay has an opening for a 4-month summer student. The successful candidate will provide assistance to the Occupational Health and Safety Advisor in Human Resources.
Reporting to the Health and Safety Advisor, you will be involved in assisting with administration of the City’s Health and Safety Program. Areas of focus include conducting and updating risk assessments, developing and updating safe work procedures, assisting with Joint Health & Safety Committee (JHSC) workplace inspections, updating our conducting general research and develops educational materials, provides administrative support to the OHS Advisor and HR Department. The work is conducted in field and office settings.
Minimum qualifications include:
- Grade 12, or equivalency
- Completion of first or second year Diploma in Occupational Health & Safety
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to build strong relationships with all levels across organization;
- Energetic, self-motivated and presents health and safety in a positive and practical manner;
- Positive attitude, self-starter, flexible, team player and solutions orientated;
- Any experience doing behavioural observations, site inspections, health and safety audits, etc.
- Demonstrated computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel);
- Must be able to speak, write and read text in English;
- Fast paced environment, must be able to work under pressure;
- Ability to understand and carry out job related instructions.
The ideal candidate will have a positive attitude and excellent interpersonal skills, be a self-starter, flexible, team player and solutions orientated and someone who presents health and safety in a positive and practical manner.
This 4-month term position will start at the beginning of May and continue until the end of August 2021. This is a union position subject to the terms and conditions of the current collective agreement between the City and CUPE Local 556. The current hourly wage rate is $17.98. An additional 4 % of gross wages is paid in lieu of vacation.
If this opportunity interests you, please submit a resume and cover letter clearing outlining how you meet the requirements through the APPLY button below.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those short listed will be contacted.
Closing Date: April 11, 2021
- Address 830 Cliffe Avenue, Courtenay, BC, Canada