Closing Date: May 30, 2021
The Principal Microbiologist is a newly created role that will lead and develop Teck’s expertise in the growing field of microbiology-based mining applications. Reporting to the Technical Director, Processing, the Principal Microbiologist will be responsible for advancing Teck’s efforts to understand, study and apply microbiological use cases within our business, including both environmental and production operations applications. They will act as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) for Teck and will be expected to help craft and lead our technical advancement in this field. In addition, this role will be required to work with multiple external consortia and partners to ensure Teck’s objectives are met through various joint partnership research programs. Longer-term, this individual will work within the Technical Services Group to determine and execute a development plan to install appropriately scaled laboratory facilities and/or grow partnerships to meet the organization’s needs.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures.
- Advance microbiology-based solutions for water treatment, environmental management, and other processing challenges.
- Strong ability to influence and manage, both directly and indirectly, as part of larger consortia research efforts focused on creating new value for the mining industry.
- Act as Teck’s internal SME to grow and understand how microbiology can be utilized in the mining industry.
- Longer-term, lead a team of technical practitioners to advance the microbiology.
- Interact with other Teck business units and technical fields in the preparation of Environmental studies.
- Keep abreast of new technologies and their potential application and impact on the company.
- Masters or Doctorate, in an applicable Biological Science or Engineering program.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of post-educational experience in applied industrial microbiology, preferably in mining associated applications, waste-water treatment, freshwater systems, or human studies. Experience in other microbiology-related fields will be considered.
- Experience conducting or leading applied research programs is desired.
- Supervisory experience would be an asset.
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written.
- Experience working in different environments, locations, and roles.
- Practical field experience in mine sites or comparable environments would be considered an asset.
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2018, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the ninth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 percent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.
Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources.
- Address 550 Burrard Street, Vancouver, BC, Canada