Requisition ID: 24602
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
Working in a fast-paced, public-oriented department, this position performs technical work of some complexity involving the acceptance of applications for Development and Building Permits, primarily the checking of plans for one- and two-family dwellings and secondary suites for compliance with the Zoning and Development and Building By-laws. Also reviews and coordinates fairly complex development applications, plans and information to ensure compliance with the Zoning and Development and Parking By-laws and Council-approved policies and guidelines.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
Duties include researching records and data from multiple sources such as property file and computer searches using PRISM, VanMap and Domino software, council reports, by-laws and guidelines, administrative work in preparing correspondence, and answering enquiries by phone and over the counter from the public and design professionals related to Building and Zoning By-laws and related City procedures.
Minimum Position Requirements
- Completion of Grade 12, supplemented by related courses from a recognized technical institute, preferably a Diploma in Building Technology.
- Considerable related technical experience in zoning administration and the ability to assess and interpret plans accurately.
- Time and project management skills to meet deadlines and manage a large volume of work in a flexible manner, with changing priorities, often under pressure.
- Ability to deal tactfully and effectively with the public and handle a high stress environment.
- Excellent communication skills are required to convey information to the public and explain technical matters in lay terms.
- Good writing skills.
- Previous work experience in the construction industry or experience in a design office is desirable.
- Must be able to demonstrate accurate keyboard skills and speed.
- Preference will be given to candidates with a working knowledge of City Building and Zoning By-laws and who have completed Level 1 certification of the Building Officials Association.
Number of Positions: 2
– One until 07/30/2021
– One until 12/31/2021
Business Unit/Department: Development, Buildings & Licensing (1250)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: March, 2021
Position End Date: See posting
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-021: $32.25 to $37.97 per hour
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
- Address 453 W 12th Ave, Vancouver, BC