Under the direction of the Team Leader, be responsible for assisting with the day-to-day operations of programs, and housing for the benefit, support and enhancement of life quality for a high need individual in his home. Respite workers are to model and contribute to the essence of home allowing opportunity for personal choice and preference for the individual supported in the program. Endeavoring at all times to promote the independence and individuality of the person supported. To acknowledge and respect that your role is to support the individual in his home in a manner you would expect in your own. To ensure that all actions are intended to enhance the life of those you support. To maintain the individual you support in the highest regard and ensure others do as well.
Relevant knowledge, skills, abilities:
- Experience supporting individuals with disabilities and/or behavioral challenges
- Knowledge of adolescent developmental stage
- Knowledge of mental disorders in adolescence
- Knowledge of medication and healthcare procedures
- Ability to provide stable home environment and guidance/training in life skills to adolescents
- Ability to implement Individual Support Plans and monitor progress towards goals
- Behavior Management techniques
- Recreation Leadership
- Possesses good leadership abilities and responsibility skills
- Is patient, self-controlled, and dependable
- Ability to interact/communicate effectively including orally and written
- Has the ability to work well with others and follow directions
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Demonstrates appropriate behavior at all times
- Possesses good organizational skills
- Ability to manage money
- Physically able to carry out duties
- A pleasant, positive nurturing personality who identifies the importance of the essence of home and enhancement of life
- Ability to exhibit empathy and concern for the problems and needs of the individual
Broad position expectations:
- To interact effectively and respectfully with the individual in his home and in the community.
- To support the individual in knowing his rights and responsibilities as an adult citizen.
- To support the individual in the development of relationships based on individual preference and choice.
- To support and promote the relationships with family and friends while maintaining a family culture within the home.
- To support and promote friendly and effective working relationships internally and with community partners.
- To support and promote community based opportunities according to individual preferences.
- To contribute in a positive manner at team meetings and special events.
- To avail self of additional relevant training according to personal interests and or management’s recommendations.
- To assist with the orientation and training of new staff to ensure competent, confident employees thus ensuring the health, safety and well being for the individual we support.
More specific job duties include:
- To assist the individual in the least intrusive manner possible and specific to individual needs in dressing, eating, administering medications and all other aspects of personal hygiene and care as required. Ensuring that the individual is meeting their greatest potential for independence.
- To assist the individual in attending professional appointments, purchasing clothing and other items as necessary.
- Ensure health needs of individual are being met, which includes setting medical appointments, taking individual to appointments and meeting with medical personnel, completing all paperwork and ensuring all follow-up care is provided.
- To organize/coordinate, support and participate in recreational and social opportunities with the individual based on his personal preference and choices.
- To support the individual with exploring new avenues for social, recreational, academic, spiritual and artistic pursuits within his community.
- Actively supervise and interact with individual in daily activities according to structured daily schedule. Facilitate activities as needed.
- To ensure all communication within the workplace is maintained in a manner which enhances professionalism, and confidentiality, and reflects respect and cooperation with co-workers, management and other members of the team.
- Complete all required written documentation in a professional, accurate, and legible manner.
- To be responsible for the completion of individual support plans and reports, daily logs, medication systems, appointment records, incident reports, etc. within designated time frames.
- To attend and participate in meetings while ensuring relevant preparation and input.
- To be aware of recent developments within the work place at the beginning of each shift, i.e. reading daily logs, verbal exchange of information, and so forth. Communicate and coordinate with all appropriate staff during shift changes.
- Function as member of team. Support and be accountable to all staff. Evaluate team members.
- Provide input on residential/facility procedures and issues including service delivery planning and intervention strategies to be used.
- To support the individual with menu planning, grocery shopping, and meal preparation as required.
- Ensure environment is clean and well maintained. To support the individual with all general household duties related to the upkeep of a home and property to maintain the best possible standards of cleanliness and maintenance.
- Ensure health and safety standards are maintained.
- Ensure basic needs of individual are being met daily, including physical and emotional.
- Ensure daily routine and program design is being followed and all paperwork is completed accurately.
- Administer medication to individual and complete required documentation in accordance with established policy.
- Intervene with individual in milieu as needed, to encourage healthy, adaptive behavior. Intervene in crisis utilizing approved crisis intervention strategies. Establish clear expectations. Set and enforce consequences/limits for disruptive behavior. Instruct individual on daily living skills including chores and personal hygiene. Act as positive role model/mentor.
- To assist with in-house orientations, and training of new staff.
- To occasionally be available on days off in case of emergencies.
- To know and be able to implement safety measures as needed.
- To attend and participate in identified training specific to the needs of the individual. Pursue professional growth by making use of supervision and other professional development opportunities.
- Participate in group work as needed.
- Assist individual as needed.
- Transport individual as needed.
- To work rotating shifts.
- To perform duties of the job independently as required (taking individual shopping, to medical appointments, etc).
- Make schedule of all appointments and off-grounds activities of individual in facility, coordinate with all relevant staff.
- To assist with the regular maintenance (cleaning, monitoring fluids, etc.) of the agency’s vehicle.
- Other related duties as required.
- Compensation $20/hr CAD $20/hr Month
- Address Abbotsford, BC