The City of Courtenay’s Human Resources, Occupational Health & Safety Division is seeking an enthusiastic and self-motivated individual to fill this union exempt position.
Reporting to the Manager of Human Resources/OH&S Advisor, the Return to Work Specialist plays a key role in the ongoing development, implementation and application of the City’s disability management and workplace wellness programs. They provide assistance to all City injury reduction strategies as well as to the safety and workplace wellness programs. The Specialist liaises with WorkSafe BC and coordinates the City’s disability and return to work program including case management and developing return to work plans.
Typical qualifications include:
- Post-secondary education in a relevant program such as Occupational Health Nursing, Occupational Therapy, Certified Disability Management Professional, Certified Return to Work Coordinator
- An equivalent combination of related education and experience and the willingness/ability to become certified as a CRTWC or CDMP
- BC Class 5 Drivers License
- 3-5 years of experience in occupational health nursing, occupational therapist and/or return to work/ disability claims management
- Experience in a unionized environment is an asset
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of BC Workers’ Compensation Act and Regulations and Claims Management Strategies
- Sound knowledge of Human Resources functions, Privacy Legislation, principles, statutory requirements and human rights issues
- Sound knowledge of ergonomic principles and musculoskeletal injury prevention
- Strong interpersonal, communication, organizational, consultative, research, motivational, conflict resolution, and problem solving skills
- Proficiency in electronic data management systems and office computer skills, ability to compose clear, comprehensive and concise written procedures, reports and correspondence
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of internal and external stakeholders such as City staff at all levels, union representatives, medical care providers, government agencies and regulatory bodies, other local governments, industry associations and consultants
- Ability to deal tactfully and effectively with employees regarding sensitive issues, and ability to influence and persuade employees and managers that staying at work/returning to work in a safe and expedient manner is in their best interest
- Specialized training in occupational health and disability case management is preferred
- Certificate in Occupational Health Nursing or Occupational Therapy
- Certified Return to Work Coordinator (CRTWC)
- Certified Disability Management Professional (CDMP)
- Active membership in professional practice group and participation in continuing education, related to disability case management
This is a temporary, part-time position (21-hour workweek) available soon. The employment term for this position is anticipated to end on December 31, 2021 with a possibility to extend up to six (6) additional months. A competitive annual salary and comprehensive benefit package is offered.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please provide a current resume outlining how you meet the above qualifications and a one-page covering letter explaining why you are interested in it and what makes you an ideal candidate for the position. Please submit through the APPLY button below no later than May 24, 2021.
Notice Posted: May 4, 2021
- Address 830 Cliffe Avenue, Courtenay, BC, Canada