Why you should work with us
At BCLC, we believe that our people are what makes us amazing so we are committed to our people. We have a culture of fun and hard work – it’s not unusual to see teams eating together at lunch in the cafeteria or heading outside for a walking meeting. We continue to have a highly engaged team and we’ve been named one of BC’s Top 50 Employers for over 10 years. Here are a few reasons why it’s great to be part of the team:
- Flexible work hours
- Robust wellness program with subsidized onsite yoga, bootcamp, running club and more
- Competitive compensation
- Company paid Flexible Health and Dental plan for you and your family
- Defined Benefit Pension Program
- Leadership and professional development programs
Why our Kamloops office rocks
The City of Kamloops offers a relaxed lifestyle with an abundance of recreational opportunities and a close-knit community of welcoming people. It has been home to the BCLC head office since 1985 and features:
- A subsidized cafeteria with healthy and delicious food choices
- Free gym
- Free parking and easy access to transit
- Close proximity to parks, trails and other recreation amenities
The Database Administrator assists with creating, maintaining and managing a variety of databases that are in line with BCLC technology streams. This role acts as a consultative partner by providing expertise, analysis and advice to internal and external stakeholders of BCLC. The Database Administrator ensures the maximization of database performance, availability, operational health and compliance in order for the business to provide products and services efficiently and effectively to its customers.
This role is subject to the requirement for after-hours support.
• Performs capacity planning to ensure sustained availability of BCLC’s products and services.
• Resolves complex technical issues including using advanced root cause analysis of database systems to determine the best course of action to restore business continuity.
• Provides input into future plans and strategies, assisting in management and execution of various vulnerability and risk assessment projects and often makes regular recommendations for new approaches to technical work and broader issues resolution.
• Responsible for production database and DEV/QA/Staging environments on-prem and in cloud environments.
• Creates business requirements and directs product development by monitoring and collecting feedback from users and liaising with vendors to provide detailed specifications and solutions to meet business needs.
• Conducts significant research and analysis to develop creative ideas and processes for issues resolution and innovative ways to improve the performance, functionality and integrity of BCLCs gaming systems.
• Communicates system maintenance and upgrades to all stakeholders and executes these activities with minimal system downtime/business impact, following procedures that are in line with the business for projects and operational activities.
• Builds operational and tactical relationships with other product teams and capabilities to promote cross-skilling (T-skills) in data intelligence and delivery.
• Evaluates and promotes the adoption of new technologies and methods to deploy services using standardized tools and platforms.
• Establishes and maintains vendor relationships with technical products supported and maintained within the data services capability.
Minimum Required Qualifications:
Education and Experience
• University degree in an appropriate discipline or college diploma in a computer program, supplemented by industry recognized professional courses;
• ITIL V3 Foundations is considered an asset;
• OCP, MCDBA, MCITP, MCSE, LCP, CISSP, CCNA and other professional certifications are considered an asset;
• 3 to 5 years demonstrated experience in a business oriented data processing which includes designing, application development, managing and administering servers and their databases;
• Experience with Linux, Windows administration and network management is an asset;
• Experience as an application developer is an asset;
• An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
• Demonstrated ability and experience in any of the following: Microsoft SQLserver, Oracle, MySQL and Informix databases;
• Demonstrated ability and experience with Windows Server and Redhat Enterprise Linux;
• Proficient in designing and implementing backup/recovery, high availability and disaster recovery strategies;
• Proficient in performance tuning analysis, index optimization, health checks and database maintenance;
• Proficient in database security best practices and integration between systems;
• Experience with one or more SQL/PLSQL/T-SQL, Python, Powershell, Windows scripting and Linux shell scripting skills;
• Operating system management;
• Experience and exposure in AWS or Azure is an asset;
• Technical skills utilizing Big Data, Data Lake, NoSQL databases is an asset;
• Automation development experience is an asset;
• Knowledge of enterprise SAN and disk sub systems is an asset;
• Knowledge of networking an asset;
• Ability to work independently and in a team environment;
• Excellent interpersonal skills;
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
• Excellent problem solving and analytical thinking/innovation;
• Exceptional time management skills.
• Must be able to work flexible hours and provide after-hours support as needed.
Please Note: This opportunity will remain open until a qualified candidate pool has been established.
Please Note: Candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Address 74 Seymour St W, Kamloops, BC, Canada