Closing Date: May 26, 2021
Reporting to the Manager, Engineering & Remediation, the Senior Engineer, Tailings & Mine Waste is responsible for oversight, reclamation and closure of tailings and water retaining structures, ancillary mine site infrastructure inclusive of natural/mined pits and/or underground openings at Teck Canadian Legacy Properties. This position is primarily based out of Kimberley, BC however there is flexibility with regards to location. Involvement with facilities outside of Canada from time to time is also possible.
To be successful, we are looking for someone with strong analytical skills, who can work independently and as a part of a team, who is results-oriented and has exceptional organization, research, planning, and communication skills. The ability to take initiative, act proactively to anticipate needs, and manage time effectively is vital. This position is suitable for someone who enjoys working outdoors and is willing to travel – sometimes with short notice. It is essential that the successful candidate wholly embraces Teck’s health and safety culture and at no time puts safety as a secondary priority in any work undertaken.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Understand and adhere fully to Teck’s policy, governance framework and guidance documents with respect to tailings and water retaining structures and water management. Full adherence to Teck’s Closure Standards is also mandatory
- Act as Tailings Qualified Person (RTFE per the Global Industry Standard on Tailings Management) at closed tailings facilities
- Coordinate internal reviews by Teck’s Tailings Working Group of external consultant and contractor work, and Teck documents and plans
- Coordinate and oversee short and long-term projects, including supervision of external consultants and contractors
- Participate in dam safety inspections, dam safety reviews, Independent Tailings Review Board reviews and Corporate governance reviews
- Prepare regulatory reports for government and act as Teck representative with regulatory agencies
- Prepare submissions and coordinate both external and internal verification for Teck’s commitments to the Mining Association of Canada’s (MAC) Towards Sustainable Mining (TSM) Tailings Protocol
- Participate in annual tailings emergency response exercises and risk assessment workshops
- Implement recommendations from internal and external geotechnical inspections, reviews, and audits
- Participate in engagement activities with communities of interest.
- Participate in preparation of annual budgets and ensure cost controls are implemented
- Prepare requisitions for proposals, evaluate proposals and bids, and review contracts
- Participate in identification of tailings and water related risks, including contributing to the maintenance of risk registers and identifying solutions and priorities to reduce risk
- Provide technical and management support to individuals carrying out tailings and water related work
- Support continual improvement in facility performance, and management of project and operating costs
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering (Geological, Geotechnical, Mining or, with appropriate coursework, Civil) is the minimum requirement with a preference for any post-graduate training relative to the position
- Eligible or registered as a Professional Engineer
- A minimum of seven years with progressive industrial experience, including mining, health and safety, project oversight and tailings management
- Familiarity with the jurisdictional requirements for engineering and reclamation activities relative to tailings and water retaining structures
- Familiarity with both soil and rock mechanics principles and awareness of industry standards for state of practice in both areas
- Understanding of requirements for managing tailings facilities
- Experience with closure and reclamation of mine sites
- Solid understanding of Microsoft Office® and GeoExplorer
- Previous supervisory experience is an asset
- Consulting experience is an asset
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal and zinc, as well as investments in energy assets.
Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources.
- Address Kimberley, BC, CA