Requisition ID: 42421
Job Category: Infrastructure
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
With over six decades of business and technical experience in the mining, energy, and infrastructure sectors, we see challenges evolving in every industry. We respond quickly with solutions that are smarter, more efficient, and innovative. We draw upon our 9,000 staff, with experience in over 150 countries, to challenge the status quo and create positive change for our clients, our employees, and the communities we serve.
Our expertise in infrastructure includes aviation, highways and bridges, planning and advisory services, ports, rail and transit, tunnels, and water. Want to be part of the creation and construction of our cities? Then the infrastructure team is for you!
Looking to take the next step in your career?
Hatch is currently seeking a highly motivated Senior Track Designer (Rail) to join the Infrastructure group in our Rail Team in the Vancouver, British Columbia location. In this role you will have the opportunity to work on a variety of exciting projects in Western North America, and beyond.
Our Rail Team is engaged in every element of design of rail infrastructure working for Class I, short line and Regionals railroads, Port Clients, Mining companies and other industrial clients. Our Rail Team works on projects in Australia, North America, Europe and Africa. Our firm of 10,000 has worked in more than 150 countries globally, and the adventure continues.
We get engaged early to assist with concepts and preliminary design, help the client with operational design, simulate product and railcar flows, optimize production on the available footprint, and find ways to save the client money but deliver beyond their expectations. We act like owners, genuinely offering the best solutions that are safe, innovative and sustainable. We nurture the long-term relationships of our Clients and our Staff, living our commitments with integrity and being unconditionally honest. We are seeking other entrepreneurs with a technical soul to join our Team and work passionately to create positive change.
As the successful candidate you will be:
- Designing track and railway infrastructure in accordance with the quality objectives and regulations, laws and standards; (ex. Metrolinx, CN, CP and AREMA);
- Producing and checking a wide variety of track designs, grading models, DTM surface and applicable details;
- Working with LIDAR point clouds, manage, verify and control surveys and geographic data for design needs;
- Ensuring compliance with laws and regulations in health and safety related to design;
- Coordinating designs across multiple disciplines (rail, structures, roads, drainage, etc.) in the delivery of complex projects;
- Coordinating and/or supervising the work of junior designers and drafters.
You bring to the role:
- Hold as a minimum, a diploma in Civil Engineering Technology;
- Design capability within rail and/or transit projects is essential;
- 8 years’ experience in all aspects of track design, from conceptual to detailed design;
- Experience in civil infrastructure, DTM surfaces, alignment, grading and drainage design, and construction would be an asset;
- Experience working for an engineering consultancy or railway within the rail or transit sector is an asset;
- Having experience in the use and application of railway industry standards;
- Proficiency with AutoCAD Civil 3D. Experience with MicroStation, Navisworks or ArcGIS would also be considered an asset;
- Being an innovative thinker capable of challenging existing practices to arrive at effective solutions;
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal are essential;
- Ability to work with minimal supervision, and being able to supervise small groups of other designers;
- Ability to switch between tasks and assignments as required;
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills in complex and changing environments.
Why join us?
- Work with great people to make a difference
- Collaborate on exciting projects to develop innovative solutions
- Top employer
What we offer you?
- Flexible work environment
- Long term career development
- Think globally, work locally
As an accredited Employer of Choice for Gender Equality (WGEA) and Equal Opportunity Employer, we are committed to fostering a workforce in each of our locations that reflects the diversity of the communities in which we operate. Within Australia, supporting and encouraging a flexible workplace, we offer our employees comprehensive benefits, including up to 12 weeks leave per year as part of our Lifestyle Leave Program. If you have any special needs requirements, please discuss with us and we will do our utmost to accommodate your request.
- Address 1066 W Hastings St Suite 400, Vancouver, BC, Canada