|City:||Vancouver, BC, Canada|
|Location:||Vancouver H/O – Canfor/CWPM_1000 (BC13)|
Canfor’s strength comes from the diversity of our skilled and resilient workforce. As our company continues to grow and diversify, so do our career opportunities. Let us take this opportunity to tell you how you could be the best fit for Canfor.
The Senior Corporate Analyst plays a key role in supporting the Director, Corporate Reporting & Analysis in ensuring the management of accurate and timely financial reports and analysis to support the day-to-day and strategic decision making of Canfor and Canfor Pulp, and that proper processes and controls are in place. Whilst being a shared service role, the role is focused largely on Canfor Pulp, responsible for ensuring the timely and accurate close and consolidation of Canfor Pulp, working closely with the Senior Corporate Analyst for Canfor to ensure Canfor consolidation deadlines and requirements are met.
The role is responsible for liaising with all areas of the Canfor Pulp organization, including (but not limited to) sales, marketing, and operations teams on accounting and process controls, as well as cash management to meet both financial and statutory reporting requirements, while ensuring accuracy and completeness of information and providing senior management with the month end results in a timely manner.
This role is also responsible for all Canfor and Canfor Pulp lease accounting, record keeping and disclosures.
In addition, this role is responsible for the consolidation (and associated journal entries), for Canfor’s European lumber region (ie. Vida), including Canfor monthly, quarterly, annual reporting requirements (and disclosures) of this region’s results, and any presentations associated with these results.
Lastly, this role assists with overall execution of the finance mission for the Canfor and Canfor Pulp Finance department, working closely with the Corporate Controllers on one-time initiatives to achieve such vision. This overarching responsibility relates to providing a key leadership role in the development and execution of Canfor’s strategic goals and enabling a best-in-class finance organization, ensuring appropriate process and controls related to accounting data are in place to safeguard Company assets and that the Company complies with established corporate policies and procedures, as well as appropriate IFRS and other regulatory guidance.
- Play a lead role in the timely and accurate close and consolidation of Canfor Pulp, working closely with the Canfor Senior Corporate Analyst, Director, Corporate Reporting & Analysis, Corporate Controllers, entire Corporate finance group and CFO;
- Assist in the preparation of quarterly and annual material for Audit Committee meetings;
- Ensure Canfor Pulp financial records are complete, accurate and up-to-date, ensuring appropriate eliminations and consolidation;
- Play a key role in preparation, consolidation and reporting for Canfor Pulp’s rolling 5-Quarter forecast;
- Lead and report on Canfor Pulp’s cost reduction initiatives;
- Manage the Company’s Return on Invested Capital and Net Debt to Capitalization ratio calculations;
- Provide financial support and analysis for senior management, including preparation of monthly Executive Financial Summary Reports and Canfor Pulp leadership meeting materials;
- Provide back-up and additional support to the Treasury Analyst, working on daily cash management;
- Work on range of ad-hoc consolidated-level finance projects including industry / competitor analysis, fibre supply models and other modeling needs, working closely with Canfor’s Director, Corporate Finance.
- Financial Reporting (All financial reporting responsibilities will include close collaboration with the Canfor Senior Corporate Analyst and Corporate Finance team)
- Review Canfor Pulp’s external quarterly and annual financial statements, while being the one of the primary touch points for Canfor Pulp’s external auditors;
- Identify unique and complex transactions, and, while working closely with the Canfor Corporate finance team, ensure appropriate accounting treatment under IFRS;
- Play a lead role in the Company’s accounting policy manual update;
- Responsible for the successful implementation of new accounting standards for Canfor Pulp;
- Play a key role in the preparation of CPPI’s annual impairment assessments for review by external auditors and Audit Committee;
- Manage accrual of CSIP and PSIP bonuses, including compilation of divisional/regional scorecards and forecast of annual scores and bonus amounts;
- Liaise with the Company’s Director of Taxation to ensure accurate and complete deferred tax accounting treatment and disclosure, in particular the offshore Canfor entities (Japan & Korea).
Statutory Reporting and Accounting
- Review and approve journal entries relating to accruals, amortization, bank transactions, accounts payable, accounts receivable, cash receipts, and tax provisions prepared by corporate accounting (primarily for Canfor Pulp), to ensure compliance with IFRS and company policies prior to posting to the general ledger;
- Manage accounting for Canfor Pulp’s on-charge and other payroll related liabilities (working closely with the any changes to the Company’s Payroll system and provider);
- Review and approve foreign subsidiary statements and foreign currency translation entries (principally for Canfor Pulp);
- Prepare and review entries, including consolidation entries, related to European lumber business (ie. Vida), including trend reports for Canadian review; Responsible for compilation of information required for quarterly reporting and disclosures;
- Responsible for maintenance of lease module in JDE (for both Canfor and Canfor Pulp), including initial set up of new leases and ensuring divisional adherence to lease accounting process and controls; Responsible for quarterly lease reporting for external disclosure and annual detailed lease disclosures;
- Review elimination entries and any general ledger related exceptions for Canfor Pulp prior to close to ensure speedy and accurate accounting records closure;
- Review consolidation within Canfor Pulp entities, ensuring compliance with IFRS and manage timing and structure of GL data for consolidation into Canfor;
- Responsible for management and review of the GL accounting system that systematically and accurately records and reports all related financial transactions for Canfor Pulp and Canfor’s European lumber operations (ie. Vida);
- Working closely with the Canfor Senior Corporate Analyst, maintain company Chart of Accounts and General Ledger structure through Canfor Pulp;
- Ensure appropriate set-up of any new companies within the Canfor Pulp General Ledger.
- Develop and maintain appropriate internal control and disclosure processes, principally for Canfor Pulp;
- Ensure compliance with established financial control policies and procedures through periodic review of financial transactions and accounts, in order to safeguard the Company’s assets, principally for Canfor Pulp.
- Support the overall leadership of the Canfor Pulp Finance Team as a valued business partner through directly liaising with sales, operations, logistics, and all other Canfor and Canfor Pulp departments;
- Key liaison with the Canfor Corporate departments, including Credit, Treasury, and Financial Reporting and provide support to the Corporate Controllers and GM Finance, Pulp Operations;
- Evaluate accurate, consistent and timely management reports and financial reporting systems, and make sound recommendations for changes to procedures, operating systems, budgets and other control functions;
- Liaise with Canfor Pulp Mill Controllers, GMs and VPs to follow up on issues and action plans as directed by the Corporate Controller as needed;
- Review and evaluate financial and operational processes to ensure there are adequate procedures, systems, controls and SOP in place to minimize the risks;
Required Skills & Education:
Education & Experience
- 5-8 years of experience in a financial management role, preferably within the pulp and paper industry or a related operations / manufacturing environment;
- Accounting designation (CPA/CA/CMA/CGA) and related business courses;
- Experience working with medium-large publicly listed companies;
- Experience with consolidation accounting in a multi-divisional, public reporting company environment an asset.
- Outstanding integrity and quality leadership;
- Conscious of details: methodical, organized, and structured – willing to get to the core of a problem;
- Ability to multi-task and drive multiple initiatives forward;
- Strong focus on standardization and continuous improvement;
- Advanced analytical and problem solving skills;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills;
- Time management and ability to manage multiple time sensitive tasks;
- Advanced computer, MS Excel and other MS Office application skills
- Detail oriented, analytical, highly motivated, a self-starter;
- Strong understanding of complex accounting principles with the ability to appropriately interpret and communicate its relevance in financial reporting, analysis, and decision making;
- Strong understanding of internal Finance policies and procedures;
- Ability to apply the appropriate tools and systems to find, extract and analyze required data;
- Strong understanding of end-to-end business processes and principles of financial process controls and risk management;
- Understanding of external reporting requirements, standards, and policies;
- Understanding of relevant legal, regulatory and compliance issues;
- Ability to adapt to changes in current policies and processes due to new guidelines;
- Strong understanding and awareness of key stakeholders and at appropriate senior levels to drive support for project/initiative and ability to adapt to their needs.
Our Talent Acquisition team is actively recruiting on this role and in order to be considered, please apply today!
At Canfor, diversity means understanding, recognizing and valuing the differences that make each person unique. We see inclusion and diversity as an essential part of our productivity, creativity, innovation and competitive advantage. We strive for a fair and equitable recruitment process, where hiring decisions are based on the individual qualifications and experience of each applicant.
We are not your run of the mill forest products company, join us and find out why. #canfortalent
The city of Vancouver is both a natural beauty and a progressive urban centre, a rare place on earth that is idyllic and electric all at once. With one of Canada’s mildest climates, Vancouver is ideally suited for those devoted to outdoor pursuits, health and wellness. Along with its endless supply of fresh air and clean water, Vancouver also boasts countless choices for culturally diverse, world-class cuisine and an inventory of arts and entertainment events. For more information, visit http://canfor.com/our-company/our-communities/vancouver
- Address 100 -1700 W 75th Ave, Vancouver, BC, Canada