Technical Lead Data and Information Management, Exploration & Geoscience
Reporting to the Chief Geoscientist, the Technical Lead Data and Information Management, Exploration & Geoscience is responsible for development, implementation and maintenance of data and information management systems within Teck’s Exploration and Geoscience (E&G) group. This responsibility has the following critical components:
- State of practice: Establish foundation of fit for purpose architecture to facilitate modern E&G data and information tools and workflows.
- People and skills: Lead, support and guide existing data and geospatial systems including Geographic Information Systems (GIS) focused personnel to enhance the state of practice of data & information within E&G.
- Innovation: Transform E&G data and information management (aligned with corporate initiatives) through the articulation of a clear innovative vision for the future, supported by an appropriate business case and operational plan.
As a member of the E&G Integrated Geoscience and Innovation team, you will work in close conjunction with the E&G Group to guide modern, efficient, innovative and leading practices for data and information management across the scope of E&G activities. This position will provide leadership and mentorship to the global data, GIS, and information management teams through matrix reporting lines and manage a small team.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures;
- Develop data and information strategies to address current and future business needs that embrace technology change and improve productivity and reduce costs to create business value across E&G;
- Establish and support leading practices in foundational data and information management tools and workflows including accompanying standards, guidelines and procedures including (but not limited to) drilling data (e.g., acQuire), spatial GIS (ESRI), 3D modelling (Leapfrog Central) and other related content;
- Champion and enable implementation of innovative digital data solutions through engagement with E&G, business stakeholders and external service providers to accelerate transformation of E&G workflows;
- Lead the development of key digital business reporting, analytics and efficiency platforms;
- Work with TDS for group implementation of Enterprise report servers (Power BI);
- Implement and manage group-level reporting environments (Power BI, ArcGIS Online, etc);
- Support the development and review of the performance objective and career development plans for global data and GIS focused staff including training and mentoring;
- Foster an internal community of practice related to group-wide information management;
- Maintain appropriate strong relationships with Teck’s Digital Systems (TDS) group in areas where TDS provides functional support to database and software systems;
- Build and maintain links to digital initiatives within Teck’s RACE group (i.e. Galileo, Modern Workplace, data science); and
- Seek out and advise on trends in new geospatial and cloud technologies and build and maintain a strong external network in relevant technical fields.
- A bachelor’s degree in related data, GIS, or computer science field is required. A postgraduate degree and/or relevant certifications in GIS or database applications will be considered assets;
- At least 10 years’ experience in GIS and/or database applications at an advanced level including design, implementation and administration of enterprise Geospatial Solutions and Systems. Specific experience in the mining industry would be an asset. Relevant information systems experience, and background may also be considered;
- Experience in platform architecture, solution design, project envisioning, planning, developing, deployment, security, identity management frameworks, cloud, and scalability;
- Experience in the build and deployment of business analytics and reporting solutions and integrated data products including machine learning or other data science applications;
- Working knowledge of enterprise and group (E&G) applications, including:
- acQuire drill hole data management (acQuire practitioner certification is an asset)
- ESRI spatial GIS platform (including experience with Arc Enterprise and ArcGIS Online environments)
- Microsoft 365 for Business (including SharePoint Online, Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Power Automate, Microsoft PowerApps, Power BI, etc)
- Related geoscience and GIS software skills will be considered an asset
- Experience and proficiency with SQL databases is required (implementation, management, querying, scripting). Knowledge of python scripting is preferred;
- Demonstrated experience with data acquisition and integration is preferred including mobile and remote environments (offline to online), ETL (exchange, transform, load) and automation;
- Demonstrated basic understanding of exploration and geoscience practices is essential; and
- Strong written and oral English language skills are required. Spanish language proficiency is an asset.
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal and zinc, as well as investments in energy assets.
Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK. Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources.
- Address 550 Burrard Street, Vancouver, BC, Canada