The City of Courtenay’s Corporate and Corporate Support Services Department invites applications for the temporary, full-time position of “Bylaw Enforcement Officer”. This is a union position subject to the terms and conditions of the current collective agreement between the City and CUPE Local 556.
The Bylaw Enforcement Officer will perform a variety of duties that include carrying out inspections for compliance with City bylaws and regulations; informing and educating people of regulatory bylaw offences and/or requirements; enforcing compliance where necessary; administering the City’s Municipal Ticketing Information (MTI) program and attending court on the City’s behalf. Reporting to the Director of Corporate Support Services, this position also responds to administrative and public enquiries regarding bylaw enforcement issues and prepares correspondence and documentation.
Minimum qualifications include:
- Grade 12 or equivalency
- Justice Institute Bylaw Enforcement and Investigative Skills Certificate Level 11 or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Valid BC Class 5 Drivers License
- Sound (4 years) experience in municipal bylaw, law enforcement or other related regulatory and enforcement
- Considerable knowledge of municipal and provincial regulations relating to bylaw enforcement and sound knowledge of court proceedings
- Strong empathy, awareness and sensitivity to community issues such as homelessness and mental health issues
- Exceptional interpersonal, communication and conflict resolution skills
- Good computer skills
- Strong ability to problem solve, investigate complaints, interpret and seek compliance with City bylaws and other related regulations
- Strong ability to use sound judgment and deal tactfully and diplomatically with the public in sensitive and sometimes confrontational situations
- Ability to work well as a member of a team and independently
- Physical ability to frequently undertake site inspections and work in inclement weather
This is a temporary, full-time position (35-hour workweek) available immediately. The employment term for this position is anticipated to end on December 31, 2021 with a possibility to extend up to six (6) additional months. The current wage rate is $32.82. Hours of work will generally be 12pm – 7pm, Wednesday through Sunday.
If you take pride in serving your community and your personal values align with our City of Courtenay’s core values, then submit a resume and cover letter clearly outlining how you meet the requirements for this position and apply below no later than March 28, 2021.
Notice Posted: March 12, 2021
- Address 830 Cliffe Avenue, Courtenay, BC, Canada