The City of Courtenay invites applications for the permanent, full-time position of “Utilities Maintenance – Operator 1” in the Utilities Maintenance Division of the Public Works Services Department. This is a full-time, union position subject to the terms and conditions in the collective agreement between the City and CUPE Local 556.
The successful candidate will work as part of a cooperative team and use manual labour and powered equipment and tools to constructs and/or install, inspect, maintain, clean and repair various components of the City’s water distribution, wastewater collection and storm water conveyance systems.
- Grade 12 or equivalency
- Valid BC Class 3 Drivers License with Air Endorsement
- Criminal Records Check
- Current Certification from the Environmental Operators Certification Program (EOCP) as a Water Distribution System Operator – Level I and/or a Wastewater Collection System Operator – Level I (willingness to work towards obtaining Water Distribution Level II)
- Sound (3 years) experience safely and effectively working in a municipal utilities environment, including hands on experience of installation, maintenance and repair of water main, valves, hydrants, meters, sewer main, storm mains, lift stations, pumps, manholes, and other related distribution/collection/conveyance systems components.
- Some experience in the safe operation of heavy equipment (Combination Sewer Cleaner/Hydro-Vac truck, Front End Loader, Dump Truck, etc) within the last three (3) years.
- Sound knowledge of proper construction and maintenance practices related to utilities infrastructure
- Sound knowledge of methods, tools, equipment and procedures related to water distribution systems including standard methods for bacteriological sampling and testing, cross-connection control and disinfection
- Some knowledge of mechanical and hydraulic principles
- Basic office computer skills
- Ability to interpret and apply City bylaws, policies, procedures, system diagrams and mapping, and construction standards and specifications
- Ability to create and maintain manual and/or computerized records, and report/interpret data information
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions in an independent manner
- Ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships within a team oriented operation
- Ability to frequently perform heavy manual labour over long periods of time and frequently work in potentially hazardous working conditions such as heavy traffic areas, trenches, chambers, and other confined spaces
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS AFTER HIRING
- First Aid Emergency Level – Industry and CPR Level A Certification, Traffic Control training, WHMIS Certification, Equipment Operator’s training, Confined Spaces Training, Asbestos Handling, Forklift training, and other job related safety training
- BC Water and Waste Association (BCWWA) Membership
The current hourly wage rate is $34.07 based on a 40-hour work week. In addition, EOCP Certificate bonuses are paid as per LOU with CUPE Local 556 current collective agreement.
Interested persons should submit a resume and cover letter clearly outlining how they meet therequirements for this position through the employee login portal on the City website, www.courtenay.ca/jobs no later than 11:45 p.m. on September 12, 2021.
- Address 830 Cliffe Avenue, Courtenay, BC, Canada