At LifeLabs, we are focused on our vision of building a healthier Canada! We are the largest community diagnostics laboratory in Canada with over 350 collection centres, 21 laboratories and service over 19 million patients each year.
Caring, Agile, Customer Driven, One Team – We live our values every day in what we do to help our patients and healthcare providers. With over 5,000 employees, we all make a difference and that’s why our people are so important to us.
Excelleris is an integral part of LifeLabs, a Canada Health Infoway award winner, developed the first noteworthy patient portals in which patients can access their own test results online, now providing over 2 million Canadians with online lab results.
The Software Engineer is accountable for all facets of the software development process. He/She is a technical subject matter expertise and provides leadership when it comes to the design of application modules. He/She maintains and deploys software applications to meet user and business needs as well as conducts system-wide tests, provides customer and user technical support, and monitors system performance to ensure that software programs are operating optimally.
In addition, the Software Engineer works with Business Analysts, Project Managers, Software Engineers, external development vendors and other developers to coordinate the development of processes to meet delivery deadlines.
This is a full time permanent role located at 3500 Gilmore Way, Burnaby.
- Works closely with the Senior Manager, Software Development / Applications, architects, external development vendors and team members to design and implement new module-level solutions in all areas of the applications, as well as maintain existing solutions, critical to Excelleris operations.
- Implements software that is highly scalable and highly available, as well as following guidelines to develop secure code and adhere to security best practices. Provide timely updates, escalate issues, and keep work-items up to date.
- Works according to documented SDLC, providing feedback and input into SDLC as needed, and supporting automation of SDLC tasks as required.
- Works occasionally as a mentor for the other team member providing guidance for best software practices, and improving team collaboration.
- Collaborates with Project Managers, external development vendors, Business Analysts and other project team members to implement module-level solutions as per requirements, clarifying details as needed and determining appropriate solution design.
- Plans for, executes solution deployments, and supports production and non-production environments for mission critical applications. Provides customer focused support and troubleshoots and resolves problems and issues, in line with documented service levels.
- Works with team to find solutions to critical issues.
- Creates and updates appropriate software design and architecture documents, ensures implementation details and source code are sufficiently documented, and manages and maintains TFS user stories, tasks, etc. as needed.
- Performs unit testing of developed components, implements automated unit tests, regression test integrated components. Executes performance tests, and optimizes solutions as required.
- Prototypes with new technologies, libraries, design patterns, emerging trends in software design and development.
- University undergraduate degree in Computer Science
- 8+ years of previous programming experience, including (but not limited to) Software design and patterns, with basic understanding of the SOLID development principles
- C++, Agile development, CICD pipeline development, TFS
- Azure Cloud based computing services like Azure Service Bus, Event Grid, Logic Apps, Azure Fn, App Service, Cosmo DB etc.
- Extensive experience with including (but not limited to):
- HTML5, SOAP services, REST services and other modern web technologies,
- C#.NET (WCF, Web.API, MVC, Entity Framework),
- SQL Server (queries and stored procedures, SSISSSRS, query tuning and solving performance issues),
- Web Technologies (Angular Framework V6+, Bootstrap, HTML5, TypeScript),
- Automated Testing (NUnit/MSTest, Moq, Specflow/Cucumber),
- Experience working on improvements of an Enterprise level system,
- Experience developing robust and scalable components for existing and new software solutions for all areas of Excelleris business
- Proven experience developing and supporting mission critical applications, including web applications.
- Proven ability to understand and maintain complex projects and solutions.
- Good understanding of software design and patterns and their application
- Solid understanding of the full software development life-cycle, including writing secure code
- Healthcare related experience (HL7, LIS/CIS systems)
- Experience with TFS
- Experience with build automation
- Intersystem Cache and HSF development experience
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to effectively work in a team environment.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to manage multiple concurrent development projects in parallel.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- CAD Month
- Image Gallery