Organization: Coquitlam Heritage
Deadline: Nov. 30, 2020
Nov. 30, 2020
Every year Coquitlam Heritage accepts hundreds of items into its collection. We are currently looking for at least two dynamic, goal-oriented problem solvers to assist with collections management and object photography. The successful candidates will assist with accessioning, cataloging, cleaning, object storage, research and/or object photography. The Assistant will have the opportunity to develop their skills working with museum collections through the reconciliation of objects in the museums collection database while assisting in the cataloguing process. The Assistant will have the opportunity to develop their photography and digitization skills by working with museum and archival materials.
• Inventory of artifacts
• Curatorial cleaning artifacts (training will be provided)
• Reconciliation of available object information with object records
• Enhance object records in museum database
• Artifact research
• Cataloguing artifacts according to museum best practices
• Organization of collections storage areas according to best practice
• Re-house museum collections into proper storage containers
• Photography of museum objects according to museum best practices
• Organization and processing of digital files
• Digitization of community archival material
• Conducting tours of Mackin House, Maillardville, and other areas of Coquitlam
• Caring for Mackin House, including light cleaning, gardening, tidying the rooms and grounds
• Other duties as assigned
• Sound understanding of Microsoft Office Suite including Excel, Word, Publisher, PowerPoint and Outlook
• Photography experience
• Experience with Photoshop and/or other photo editing software
• Displays a helpful, outgoing personality, works well as part of a team or individually
• Demonstrates a genuine interest in community, heritage, history, and culture
• Ability to focus and complete tasks in a timely manner
• Is organized and can prioritize
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Is curious, learns quickly, excels in research and problem solving
• Preference will be given to candidates with volunteer or work experience in a museum
• Experience with museum database systems is an asset (e.g. Past Perfect)
• Lift up to 20 lbs safely
• Available during our hours of operation
• Happy to be a casual, on-call employee
• Must pass a criminal record check
The successful collections assistant candidate will receive guidance on best practices for collections management. They will develop their skills in the following areas: problem solving, critical thinking, communication, team building, research, cataloguing, artifact handling, mount making, and curatorial cleaning.
The successful digitization assistant will receive guidance on best practices for object photography, digitization of archival materials, and records management.
This position is suitable for those considering a career in research, archival studies, museology, curation, or collections management. Applicants should hold or be working towards a degree in Anthropology, Archaeology, Museum Studies, Art History, History, Cultural Studies, Heritage Management or a related field.
Coquitlam Heritage is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applicants from underrepresented groups, including new immigrant youth/refugees, Indigenous youth, LGBTQ, youth with disabilities and visible minorities.
How to Apply:
Please send your cover letter and resume in PDF outlining how you meet the requirements to Jasmine Moore.
Jasmine Moore Heritage Manager
Subject line: Your Name_Heritage Assistant
Starts at $15/hr
Contact Name: Jasmine Moore
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Phone: (604) 516-6151
- CAD Month
- Address 938 Howe Street, Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Image Gallery