We are recruiting for a Director of Recreation and Cultural Services. The successful candidate will be a key member of our Senior Management Team, reporting to the General Manager of Operations/Deputy Chief Administrative Officer (Deputy CAO), and leading the department responsible for providing quality recreation, leisure and cultural opportunities in a healthy and safe environment.
The Department is comprised of the Recreation Facility Operations Division, the Recreation Programming Division and the Recreation and Cultural Business Administrative Services Division. It is the liaison with the City’s cultural facilities and associated organizations including the Courtenay Recreation Association (CRA) and the Evergreen Club.
This position provides long-range vision, leadership and guidance on the provision of recreation, leisure, events, and cultural services to the community; Develops and oversees the implementation of departmental policies, strategic plans, programs, bylaws and associated processes; Directs the development and management of recreational and cultural opportunities, programs, and facilities to promote active and healthy lifestyles in the community; Liaises with committees, advisory boards, and organizations on community service issues and projects.
The Successful Candidate Will Have:
- A Degree in Recreation Administration or other related discipline from a recognized educational institution, or combination of education and experience.
- Valid B.C. Driver’s License
- Substantial (11 –13 years) experience in parks and recreation management, with considerable related experience at a management level in a local government setting.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Extensive knowledge of the philosophies, principles, and practices of community recreation and cultural service delivery.
- Thorough knowledge and background in contract management.
- Thorough knowledge in marketing and public relations strategies and techniques.
- Thorough knowledge and background in capital and operational budget preparation and control (long and short-term).
- Exceptional interpersonal, communication, presentation, facilitation, public relations, negotiation, problem solving, decision making, leadership and general management skills.
- Good office computer skills.
- Ability to effectively plan and manage a multi-function department.
- Ability to effectively lead, coach, and motivate staff in a team environment.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective business relationships with representatives of cultural and recreational groups, government, business, the general public, City staff and Council members.
- A Certificate in Local Government Administration would be considered an asset.
- Incident Command System courses for emergency management would be considered an asset.
For a complete job description, see the documents section below.
What We Offer
The opportunity to live and work in a community surrounded by natural beauty along with an attractive salary and a comprehensive benefit package including:
- A comprehensive health benefits plan
- Employee and Family Assistance Plan
- Municipal Pension Plan
- Cumulative Sick Leave Plan
- Annual Vacation and Other Paid Leaves
- Professional Development & Training Opportunities
If your skills and abilities align with this opportunity, and you are excited about taking on a new challenge, please submit your resume and cover letter by clicking on the APPLY button below.
Closing Date: We will begin reviewing applications on November 16, 2020 but this position will remain open until filled.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those short listed will be contacted.
- CAD Month
- Address 830 Cliffe Avenue, Courtenay, BC, Canada
- Image Gallery