The City of Courtenay invites applications for theposition of “Journeyman Electrician” in the Transportation Maintenance Division of the Public Works Services Department. The City fosters a positive work environment for everyone on our team. Our organization’s culture is demonstrated by our Corporate Mission and Core Values.
The incumbent performs regular inspections and maintenance on the City’s Transportation & Utilities assets. This is skilled work at the journeyman level through the use of manual labour and powered equipment or tools; related to electrical diagnosis, maintenance, repair, alteration and installation of electrical, data and electronic systems and equipment, tasks throughout the City.
- Education, Occupational Certificates, Licenses, Association Memberships:
- Grade 12 or equivalency
- Canadian Interprovincial Qualification (Red Seal) in the Trade of Electrical
- Class B FSR
- Valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License
- IMSA Traffic Signal Technician Level 1 or demonstrated experience
- IMSA Roadway Lighting Technician Level 1 or demonstrated experience
- Criminal Record Check
Experience/ Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Significant (8 years) journeyman experience in the operation & maintenance of roadway lighting and traffic signals and related public works infrastructure
- Some (2 years) experience with industrial automation & control systems and components
- Some (2 years) Experience using, diagnosing, and repairing systems and SCADA controls.
- Extensive knowledge of Provincial and National Electric Codes
- Extensive knowledge of proper public works operation, maintenance and construction practices in relation to proper electrical inspection, maintenance, repair and testing practices for roadway lighting and traffic signals
- Thorough knowledge of the Worker’s Compensation Act and OH&S regulations applicable
- to the work area
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Basic office computer skills
- Ability to communicate with courtesy and tact in explaining and exchanging data or information
- Ability to self-motivate and be an effective team player
- Ability to prioritize, plan and schedule work
- Ability to operate a variety of equipment as required
- Ability to comprehend and effectively give, as well as carry out, oral and written instructions
- Ability to interpret and apply City bylaws, policies, procedures, engineering design standards and specifications; read and interpret Engineering drawings
- Physical ability to occasionally lift heavy objects, work in awkward positions and confined spaces; frequently stand and walk throughout the day and work in inclement weather
Additional Requirements after Hiring:
- First Aid Emergency Level – Industry and CPR Level A Certification; WHMIS Certification, Scissor Lift and Forklift training, and other job related safety training
This is a full-time union position subject to the terms and conditions in the collective agreement between the City and CUPE Local 556.
2020 hourly wage rate: $37.68 based on a 40-hour work week.
Application deadline: June 17, 2020
How to Apply: Submit through the Apply button below
- CAD Month
- Address 830 Cliffe Avenue, Courtenay, BC, Canada
- Image Gallery