The City of Courtenay is an innovative, vibrant and growing City that works together to provide opportunities and excellent services making our community a great place to live, work and do business. The City fosters a positive work environment for everyone on our team. Our organization’s culture is demonstrated by our Corporate Mission and Core Values.
A dynamic career opportunity exists for an Environmental Engineer within the Engineering Services Team.
This position will lead, implement and deliver environmental plans, programs, projects and initiatives, related to: climate adaptation, air and stormwater quality, integrated rainwater management, flood management and sea level rise, and general environmental stewardship.
The Environmental Engineer is responsible for facilitating internal and external stakeholder engagement and representing the City of Courtenay Engineering Services on regional committees and publically. Managing project budgets, the successful candidate will also participate in the financial planning process, and prepare grant proposals.
The ideal candidate will possess a degree in Engineering and a Professional Engineer’s designation (PEng). Preference will be given to an Environmental Engineering discipline and a Project Management Professional designation will be considered an asset. Educational qualifications should be supplemented with 5-7 years’ experience in the public sector managing multi-faceted, inter-disciplinary initiatives and developing complex long-term plans involving diverse stakeholders as well as 5-7 years’ experience with complex and structured public procurement processes.
The Successful Candidate
- Eligible for membership with Engineers and Geoscientists of BC (EGBC) with the designation of Professional Engineer, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Sound (3-4 years) experience and success working in a unionized environment achieving strategic directives.
- Thorough knowledge of current engineering principles and practices as applied to planning, design, construction, and maintenance of municipal infrastructure.
- Extensive knowledge and background in project and contract management with proficiency in capital and operational budget controls, and financial reporting requirements.
- Considerable knowledge of the Local Government Act, Land Titles Act, Community Charter and other legislation as it relates to the responsibilities and limitations of project management in a municipal environment.
- Exceptional communication skills, including a demonstrated ability to utilize a high degree of tact when addressing confidential or otherwise sensitive matters.
- Strong interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to create and work in, a collaborative team environment and ability to work collaboratively with all City departments to achieve common goals.
- The ability to establish and maintain effective, proactive and collaborative working relationships with representatives of government, business, consultants, developers, the general public, City staff and Council.
- Excellent organizational skills, with the ability to process large volumes of information and to concurrently manage multiple tasks and competing priorities.
- The ability to present technical and environmental advice in an accessible and engaging manner, both verbally and written.
- A valid BC Class 5 Driver’s License.
What We Offer
The opportunity to live and work in a community surrounded by natural beauty along with an attractive salary and a comprehensive benefit package including:
- A comprehensive health benefits plan
- Employee and Family Assistance Plan
- Municipal Pension Plan
- Cumulative Sick Leave Plan
- Annual Vacation and Other Paid Leaves
- Professional Development & Training Opportunities
The successful applicant will be required to undergo a criminal record check.
If your skills and abilities align with this opportunity, and you are excited about taking on a new challenge, please submit your resume and cover letter by clicking on the “Apply” button below. Applications will be accepted until October 18, 2020.
Date Posted: September 25, 2020
- CAD Month
- Address 830 Cliffe Avenue, Courtenay, BC, Canada
- Image Gallery