A dynamic career opportunity exists for a Manager of Utilities in the City’s Public Works Services Department
With a commitment to municipal asset management, Courtenay is an innovative, vibrant and growing City that works together to provide opportunities and excellent services making our community a great place to live, work and do business. The City fosters a positive work environment for everyone on our team. Our Organization’s culture is demonstrated by our Corporate Mission and Core Values.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the management of the day to day operations of the Utilities Maintenance Division including the construction, operation, maintenance and repair of water distribution and water booster station, wastewater collection and lift stations, storm water conveyance systems and participates in short and long-term planning for City infrastructure services and facilities.
The ideal candidate for this position will have a Diploma in Civil Engineering or Technology, Business Administration or Management; and/or a related discipline from a recognized educational institution.
You will also be registered as an Applied Science Technologist (AScT) with ASTTBC and registered with the Environmental Operator Certification Program (EOCP) as a Water Distribution System Operator – Level IV & Wastewater Collection System Operator – Level III.
You will also have:
- Considerable municipal construction and maintenance supervisory experience, preferably in a management position, senior level supervisor or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- Significant (8 – 10 years) experience in municipal infrastructure, project management and occupational health & safety including managing in a unionized workplace
- Considerable (5 years) experience in project management and managing crews in a unionized environment
- Considerable technical knowledge of methods, practices, materials, tools and equipment related to the maintenance and construction of public works and utilities infrastructure
- Considerable knowledge of the Worker’s Compensation Act and OH&S regulations and other applicable legislation
- Considerable knowledge and background in project management and contract administration
- Considerable knowledge and background in capital and operational budget preparation and control
- Strong interpersonal, communication, presentation, problem solving, decision making, leadership and general management skills
- Strong computer skills relating to Microsoft Office Suite software
- Ability to lead, coach, and motivate staff in a team environment
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with representatives from government agencies, community and business groups, contractors, the general public, and City staff
- Training in Emergency Management (Incident Command, EOC Essentials).
You must also be willing to undergo a criminal record check if you are the successful applicant.
This is a full-time career opportunity in the magnificent Comox Valley offering a competitive base salary and a generous compensation package including:
- A comprehensive health benefits plan
- Employee and Family Assistance Plan
- Municipal Pension Plan
- Cumulative Sick Leave Plan
- Annual Vacation and Other Paid Leaves
- Professional Development and Training Opportunities
If you have the above qualifications along with the passion to help make Courtenay the most livable City in British Columbia, then submit your resume with a covering letter by clicking on the “Apply” button below. We will begin reviewing applications on October 18, 2020; however, this position will remain opened until filled.
For the full spectrum of responsibilities and qualifications, please click on the link below to view the job description.
We sincerely thank all applicants – only those short-listed for interviews will be contacted.
Date Posted: September 28, 2020
- Address 830 Cliffe Avenue, Courtenay, BC, Canada