YVR is made up of a team of diverse people who are working collaboratively to Connect BC Proudly to the World. Safety is at the core of everything we do; we’re innovative, fun, and we invest in our people. We’re a BC Top Employer for 14 years standing, with high engagement scores, an abundance of learning and development opportunities, and a holistic approach to wellness. And we’re looking for someone to join our team.
As one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers, Vancouver Airport Authority strives for a workplace that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve. We support the Employment Equity Act and take measures to ensure fair employment practices and treatment of employees across our organization. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates, including women, Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities. We encourage applicants to self-identify with a designated group(s) to support our team in filling gaps in areas where we can be more diverse. We are also happy to provide reasonable accommodations throughout the selection process and while working at YVR. If you require support applying online because you are a person with a disability, please contact us at 604-303-3152 or email@example.com. Check out the reasons that make us a Top Employer at: https://content.eluta.ca/top-employer-vancouver-airport.
We have permanent, part-time opportunities for Airfield Operations Specialists in the Airside Operations Department. Reporting to the Manager, Maintenance Services, the successful candidates will work on the runways, taxiways and aprons of Canada’s second busiest airport to ensure safe and efficient operations at all times. Working alongside a dedicated team of individuals and with some of the world’s most advanced equipment, the successful candidates will contribute to a variety of airfield projects.
Note that part-time hours may range from 20 hours per week up to 40 hours per week. Schedules will fluctuate as part-time Airfield Operations Specialists provide relief coverage (for vacation, illnesses, etc.).
Key responsibilities include:
- Monitoring and conducting surface inspections and repairs of asphalt and concrete on the airport’s runways, taxiways, aprons and airside roads
- Controlling Foreign Object Debris (FOD) on the airfield through the use of specialized FOD removal equipment and manual techniques
- Operating heavy equipment on the airfield to maintain grass and signs, in compliance with wildlife, safety, and security mandates
- Providing snow and ice control through the application of specialized de-icing chemicals and/or aggregates and operating heavy snow removal equipment
- Maintaining storm water drainage systems
- Maintaining perimeter fences, road safety equipment (barriers and other traffic control devices) and seaplane facilities
- Assisting with equipment maintenance, special events and projects
- Supporting irregular operations (aircraft emergencies and incidents)
Key qualifications include:
- Two years of recent, related experience supplemented by a high school diploma or GED equivalent (some post-secondary education would be an asset); or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- Ability to safely operate heavy equipment, power tools and hand tools
- Strong work ethic with a high level of initiative and enthusiasm, and an ability to excel in a fast-paced environment
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, including communication and judgment, are required so that operational issues are addressed in a professional and efficient manner
- A team player, capable of working both collaboratively and independently
- A strong concern for the health and safety of self and others
- The ability to work safely and effectively under pressure
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Effective and efficient computer skills in an MS Office operating environment
- Successful completion of a pre-employment physical and medical exam
- Class 3 Drivers License with Air Brake endorsement
- Clear Drivers Abstract
- Ongoing requirement for: maintaining fitness levels and maintaining all security clearances, passes and certifications
This position is open to both Airport Authority employees and external candidates. Previous job performance will be taken into consideration for all internal candidates that apply for this position.
- CAD Month
- Address 13211 Grant McConachie Way, Richmond, BC, Canada
- Image Gallery