About the Opportunity
As an Appraiser, you will report to the Senior Appraiser and will collect, analyze, and interpret information in order to determine values on properties such as single and multi-family dwellings, conversions, duplexes, apartments, mobile homes, farm buildings, commercial, office and light industrial buildings, as well as accessory buildings and vacant and improved land. Providing superior customer service, and often working directly with property owners, you will:
• Inspect, measure and determine the values of assigned property types.
• Check alterations, renovations and other construction.
• Maintain records, drawings and data used for assessment purposes.
• Utilize state of the art technology, including satellite imaging and digital mapping software.
• Provide great customer service to the public whether in-person at the office, through telephone/email , and/or in the field at property sites.
• Prepare reports for property assessment appeals.
• Provide factual evidence in a Review/Appeal Board situation and defend BC Assessment property values when challenges arise.
Please Note: BC Assessment intends to establish an eligibility list for the posted office location only. No provincial-wide eligibility list will be established at this time.
To apply as an Appraiser I, you will need an undergraduate degree, preferably in Commerce or Business Administration. Other undergraduate degrees may also be considered with a preference for Economics, Urban Geography, Urban Planning, or Engineering.
In addition, you will join BC Assessment with a commitment to complete UBC course BUSI 330 – Foundations of Real Estate Appraisal within 12 months of appointment, with the goal to become certified as an accredited appraiser with either the Real Estate Institute of BC and/or the Appraisal Institute of Canada.
Our Appraiser II employees are encouraged to pursue an appraisal accreditation with either the Real Estate Institute of British Columbia with the Diploma in Urban Land Economics with the mass appraisal, appraisal, or assessment option, or the Appraisal Institute of Canada or Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors as a Member (MRICS) or Fellow (FRICS).
You may be considered for an Appraiser II role if you meet the qualifications of the Appraiser I role (see above), plus the following requirements:
Completion or equivalent credit for the following UBC courses:
· BUSI 121 Foundations of Real Estate Mathematics (N/A for PGCV education path)
· BUSI 330 Foundations of Real Estate Appraisal
· BUSI 331 Real Estate Investment Analysis and Advanced Income Appraisal
· BUSI 401 Commercial Property Analysis
· BUSI 442 Case Studies in Appraisal I
· BUSI 443 Real Property Assessment Administration
· BUSI 344 Statistical and Computer Applications in Valuation (for DULE-Assessment education path)
· BUSI 452 Case Studies in Appraisal II (for AIC or DULE – Appraisal education path)
· Two years of appraisal related experience with the minimum educational levels.
Note: An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Important: Applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada and possess a valid Class7 (N) licence or greater to be considered for employment. Prior to submitting an application to this posting, please ensure you attach a copy of both your driver’s license and undergraduate degree certification to your Monster profile under Resume Attachments.
All information provided in your application may be subject to verification. Successful applicants will be required to provide proof of qualifications and/or supporting documentation (e.g. copies of certificates, diplomas, degrees, driver’s licence), as well as complete a Criminal Record Check as a condition of employment.
About BC Assessment
BC Assessment values all property in the province of British Columbia. Our applications and data are used to create an annual Assessment Roll which informs and acts as an important factor for municipal and provincial taxation planning, policy and decision. The heart of BC Assessment is its team. As a Crown corporation providing property assessment services for a variety of customers across the province, BC Assessment recognizes the importance of its employees’ contributions.
About The Benefits
BC Assessment is committed to the professional growth, development and well-being of their staff. In return for your dedication, you will be rewarded with a generous remuneration package and a full range of benefits, including:
• Extended Health and Dental
• Retirement and Pension Plans
• Employee & Family Assistance Program
• Flexible Work Arrangements
• Maternity and Parental Leave Top-Up Payments
• Life/Sick Insurance Benefits
• 3 Weeks Vacation to start
• Awards & Recognition
BC Assessment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Upon joining the BC Assessment team, you’ll find yourself working with a group of friendly, team-oriented individuals who strive to deliver exceptional customer service while maintaining a healthy work-life balance. Best of all, you can look forward to an environment where your skills and experience are truly appreciated and rewarded.
- Compensation $51,218.48 - $73,580.42 $ $51,218.48 - $73,580.42 Month
- This job has expired!