Your opportunity to champion world-class research that saves and transforms the lives of children in BC and beyond
About our team
We are a strategic thinkers, valued experts and skilled storytellers who are passionate about the leading-edge health research taking place at BC Children’s Hospital Research Institute. Our 1000+ researchers save and transform children’s lives through discovery, innovation and excellence and we want everyone to know. We take complex and sensitive subject matter and write compelling stories about the people behind the science and the children who could benefit from it. Internally, we connect, engage and celebrate our diverse and busy researcher community.
We are looking for a team member who will be:
- An effective storyteller who can put our best foot forward in identifying stories.
- A savvy member of a large, complex organization – skilled in working in a matrix environment, collaborative in building relationships, and smart in knowing how to prioritize competing interests and requests.
- A self-starter who takes initiative to creatively identify and execute media opportunities, respond quickly to issues, and recommend effective messages, versus awaiting direction.
- A problem-solver who is always looking for ways to work more efficiently with greater impact.
- A supportive “team player” who views their role as helping and enabling their colleagues’ success, as much as securing support for their own
Reporting to the Manager, Research Communications for BC Children’s Hospital Research Institute, you are responsible for providing communications services to build awareness and a positive reputation for the Research Institute and its investigators. You will: create media pitches and news releases, draft issues notes and key messages for interviews; oversee key internal and external communications tools such as our website, intranet and/or newsletter; develop and maintain strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders; and develop and implement communication and event plans for key initiatives
- Produce effective media pitches, media releases, key messages and issue notes, as well as contribute to online and social media.
- Identify and produce digital, video, web, intranet and social media content, with a particular emphasis on helping to promote new research and achievements.
- Work with key staff and Research Institute leadership to support institutional initiatives and internal change.
- Develop and execute internal and external communication plans that promote and support BC Children’s Hospital Research Institute’s research advances and the dedicated and specialized support we provide to our researcher community.
- Develop and maintain relationships and coordinate with hospital foundation teams, research institutes and other associated groups.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- At least five years’ experience in communications, public relations, journalism or marketing.
- Ability to write a communications plan.
- Proven writing skills.
- Issues management experience.
- The ability to handle highly confidential and sensitive issues with tact and diplomacy.
- Experience in proactive public relations, and identifying and executing story opportunities.
- Proficiency in social media, including content creation, posting and distribution.
- Ability to deal with multiple tasks and deliver required results on deadline.
- Experience with posting and maintaining web content.
- Desire to foster and further a culture of diversity and inclusiveness.
Nice to have:
- Experience with social media analytics and strategy, including Hootsuite.
- Experience with web design and Drupal.
- Skills in digital and mobile video production.
If this positions sounds like a good fit, please apply
- Address 938 West 28th Avenue, Vancouver, BC, Canada