COMPANY DPA/MARINE TECHNICAL COORDINATOR
Fraser River Pile & Dredge (GP) Inc. (FRPD) is Canada’s largest Marine & Infrastructure, Land Foundations and Dredging contractor. The company is privately owned with operations mainly in Western Canada and projects reaching across the country.
FRPD is a growing, award-winning company with significant opportunities for advancement. We know that our success is through our people and we focus on developing talented individuals looking to take advantage of the diverse scope of our many exciting projects. We offer a strong compensation package including a comprehensive benefits package and a company paid pension plan.
The Company Designated Person Ashore (DPA)/Marine Technical Coordinator will be responsible to ensure the company’s marine fleet is meeting or exceeding all applicable marine regulations. This position will also include supporting the Senior Marine Technical Superintendent in the coordination of marine equipment maintenance and repairs
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- As the company DPA you will be responsible to ensure FRPD is meeting all aspects of the International Maritime Organizations (IMO) International Safety Management (ISM) requirements for their ship “FRPD 309” (a trailing hopper suction dredge working the waterways of the Fraser River)
- Responsible for implementing and maintaining the Safety Management System through review of records drills, minutes of onboard Safety Meetings, Incident Investigations, Non-Conformities, and Requests for Change
- Monitoring of the safety and pollution-prevention aspects of the operation of the ship and ensuring that adequate resources and shore-based support are available, as required
- Reporting on the effectiveness of the SMS and advising when changes or remedial action is required
- Ensuring that annual shore management and vessel officer reviews of the SMS are conducted
- Arranging and supporting internal and external audits of the SMS ashore and on the vessel
- Ensuring suitably qualified internal auditors conduct physical and baseline audits of the shore-based facility and the ship to meet the requirements of the International Safety Management Code
- Ensuring that Corrective Actions noted for non-conformities and observations are implemented and reviewed to verify their effectiveness
- Ensuring that all onshore personnel are familiar with their roles as described in the SMS and the Crisis Management Plan
- Assist the Senior Marine Technical Superintendent with the maintenance and refits of the marine dredging fleet
- Responsible for ensuring that the FRPD fleet of vessels is compliant with the latest safety regulations, and in addition is operated according to changing environmental restrictions and regional guidelines
- Provide annual audits of all FRPD manned vessels (including dredges) to ensure regulatory compliance
- Work with marine crews to develop marine-specific operational safety procedures
- Manage marine dredging equipment records and filing systems to improve timely and orderly retrieval of information
- Assist in directing the work of mechanical, hydraulic, electronic and electrical maintenance, repair and installations on FRPD dredging equipment
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- A minimum 4th Class Marine Engineer or individual with solid marine technical experience
- Have been in a leadership role for a minimum of two years
- Holder of a class endorsed DPA certificate
- Training and certification in Auditing
- Level 1 First Aid, or willing to obtain
- Hold a class 5 drivers’ licence (abstract meeting FRPD’s motor vehicle policy)
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to work as part of a team and independently
- Excellent organizational skills
- A solid understanding of Transport Canada, Canadian Labour Code Part II and MOSH Regulations
- Individual must have thorough understanding and experience working with Classification Societies
- General knowledge of fleet management/maintenance systems
- Experience working in a unionized environment considered an asset.
This position is challenging, interesting and will be well suited to an individual looking to further expand their existing skillset and build an exciting career within a strong and healthy work environment.
- This job has expired!