Closing Date: September 27, 2019
Reporting to the Contracts Manager, the Contracts Specialist will serve as a resource to plan project contracting activities and execute full lifecycle contracts management activities for Teck projects.
The Contracts Specialist is responsible for preparing project contracting plans, managing the full contracting lifecycle: developing and recommending individual contract strategies (including the identification of compensation and market approach models), coordinating the development of detailed Contracts risk registers (including the development and implementation of prevention and mitigation strategies), planning and executing Request for Proposal (RFP) processes, evaluating proposals and negotiating agreements, making recommendations for award, conforming contracts for execution, administering (including assessment of payment and commercial claims), and closing contracts. Close liaison and coordination with the project managers, project teams, project services disciplines, and corporate shared service groups (legal, risk, customs and trade compliance, etc.) is required.
The Contracts Specialist will lead project teams in setting up, overseeing and expediting EPCM’s in their execution of contracting activities as required on specific projects. On some projects, the Contracts Specialist might supervise Contracts Administrators.
The Contracts Specialist will work in an inter-dependent manner with internal lawyers, contracts and procurement professionals and a diverse group of Teck employees, external service providers and contractors in Canada, the USA and Chile to ensure Teck’s contracts effectively define and manage the legal, commercial, and technical obligations and objectives of the parties involved so as to protect and advance Teck’s interests.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Maintains and demonstrates Teck’s commitment to safety and environmental protection as a core value.
- Prepares Project Contracting Strategies for review by the Contracts Manager.
- Develops and recommends contract strategies and contract plans to Project Managers, ensuring contract strategies consider appropriate legal, commercial, and technical approach to scope packaging, bidding, awarding, managing, and closing contracts.
- Manages the request for proposal process including:
- planning, preparing, and managing the RFP documents and process
- analyzing and evaluating commercial proposals
- managing the technical evaluation process
- negotiating commercial and legal terms on behalf of Teck
- recommending award based on overall best value
- conforming, executing, and awarding resulting contracts
- ensuring all records are managed and retained
- Administers agreements (post-award) including evaluating pre-mobilization deliverables, reconciling invoices, negotiating / resolving disputes, negotiating changes, implementing change management procedures, and closing contracts.
- Proactively provides guidance to Project Managers and project teams in regards to contract management strategies, options, and considerations throughout all stages of contracts lifecycles.
- References legal and commercial terms and relies on those terms to manage contractors, advise Project Managers and project teams, and to resolve disputes / claims.
- Implements effective change management to ensure contract modifications are properly documented and approved.
- Ensures contracts are closed out appropriately and in accordance with applicable legislation.
- On a project, oversees, monitors and reports on the EPCM in its execution of full contracting lifecycle on behalf of Teck.
- Develops for Management approval contracts management policies, procedures, and templates for the Project Development group.
- Proactively resolves issues that arise between contractors and project teams in a professional manner.
- Prepares ad hoc contract management reports as required.
- Adhere to all corporate policies, code of ethics and codes of conduct.
- Perform job-related administrative duties as required.
- Post secondary education from a recognized institution is required
- 10+ years of experience in an engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) or an engineering, procurement and construction management (EPCM) company or owners project team and managing and executing contract lifecycle activities
- Strong understanding of project lifecycles, project procedures, project roles and responsibilities
- Strong understanding and experience with various contract types, models, strategies
- Strong understanding of various legal and commercial terms and ability to rely on those terms
- Strong negotiation and dispute resolution skills
- Strong understanding and experience in multiple phases of project execution
- Able to raise awareness of contract activities which have an impact to a project
- Strong critical and conceptual thinking skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills as well as strong written and verbal communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook and Internet Explorer
- Spanish language skills are desirable but not required.
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2018, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the eighth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.
- Address 550 Burrard Street, Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Image Gallery