Requisition ID: 68547
Join the Global Community of Scotiabankers to help customers become better off.
As the leader of a Commercial Real Estate team, you are responsible for contributing to your team’s overall success, by directing the business development of the team as well as meeting negotiated goals. These goals include both personal and team business development goals, along with other objectives related to customer service, operational effectiveness and personal development. Aiming to exceed customer expectations, you acquire new relationships and grow existing relationships by providing customized and creative financial solutions to businesses, while maintaining and ensuring credit quality and the overall profitability of relationships. In your role as team leader, you facilitate the development of team member’s functional skills through coaching and sales meetings.
Reports to: Vice President, Real Estate Banking
Direct Reports: Senior Relationship Managers, Real Estate Banking
Relationship Managers, Real Estate Banking
1. You are responsible for sales management: directing the sales activities and developing the sales skills of your team members, as well as managing your team members. To do this you:
Negotiate challenging yet achievable financial targets and sales activity goals with team members;
Conduct one-on-one sales coaching sessions with each team member;
Provide timely, accurate and specific performance feedback. Where necessary you manage non-performance to a logical conclusion;
Assess development needs of direct reports, working with them to establish individual development plans based on career objectives and organizational needs/opportunities.
2. You are responsible for ensuring all aspects of your assigned relationships receive ongoing attention as required to maintain and improve the quality of the relationship. To do this you
Conduct an active calling program with each assigned relationship to ensure the Bank is familiar, and up to date, with respect to the business’ operations and its principle officers;
Prepare for each customer call and meet specific objectives for each call;
Through the calling program and using your knowledge of the Bank’s services and resources, ensure all the banking needs of each relationship are well understood and documented;
Direct and coordinate all marketing visits to your assigned relationships by specialist groups from other areas of the Bank in order to maintain an organized and well-defined approach to each relationship. This includes reviewing and coordinating all proposals for customer presentation;
Seek customer feedback on Bank products and the delivery of customer service;
Ensure high service standards are maintained, including meeting expected turnaround times on customer commitments;
Treat customer complaints as learning opportunities, taking the appropriate steps to address each promptly, as required.
3. You are responsible for developing new and expanded relationships with owners/managers/operators of income property that fits with the Bank’s objectives. To do this you
Develop and maintain awareness of local market and general economic conditions;
Negotiate aggressive yet achievable sales goals based on local market and economic conditions;
Develop and implement short and medium-term strategies to identify and qualify prospects;
Conduct an active calling program with each qualified prospect;
Analyze, structure and negotiate proposals to provide businesses with customized financial solutions to satisfy their expressed and understood needs.
4. You are responsible for safeguarding the Bank’s assets and liabilities by maintaining the quality of your assigned Commercial REB portfolios. To do this you:
Complete customer reviews in a timely and sufficiently detailed, accurate fashion;
Prepare or ensure an appropriate credit application and risk analysis is prepared for all new or changed lending opportunities, forwarding to REC as per established processes;
Ensure all documentation is properly prepared and all authorization requirements are satisfied and monitored as required;
Obtain written authorization for all non-standard documentation, processes and arrangements associated with the administration of assigned relationships;
Take appropriate action promptly when you become aware of deteriorating and/or unsatisfactory trends regarding credit quality, customer profitability etc. This includes developing the tactical response(s) at the client level and addressing any skill gaps of team members. Information may come from a variety of sources including other team members, customers, Credit Adjudication, Global Risk Management, the Loan Underwriting Centre, Shared Services, etc;
Maintain strict adherence to Bank credit and security procedures, reporting any breach of terms and conditions of credit as well as any unusual occurrences or fraudulent activity as per established processes, as soon as you become aware of it.
• Undergraduate degree in business or economics (or equivalency). MBA an asset.
• The incumbent requires a thorough knowledge of the Real Estate Lending market in Canada and a detailed knowledge of the key success factors to mortgage underwriting specific property types. They must also have a solid understanding of the Bank’s Real Estate – Commercial Mortgages Lending & Construction Lending objectives, strategies and structures and have the will and the ability to implement them successfully.
• Incumbents must have commercial mortgage lending experience. They must be able to effectively articulate their views to all levels both within the Bank and externally in the marketplace.
• Strong computer skills and familiarity with word processing and spreadsheet software (EXCEL/ WORD).
Key functional competencies:
• Expert knowledge of interviewing, solicitation and business development techniques;
• Thorough knowledge of sales management and coaching techniques;
• Thorough knowledge of people and performance management techniques;
• Thorough knowledge of Commercial Mortgage products and services, including a working knowledge of systems, routines and operating procedures;
• Thorough knowledge of financial analysis, risk analysis techniques, credit adjudication and the Bank’s lending policies and procedures regarding the underwriting of Commercial Mortgages;
• Thorough knowledge of documentation procedures for Commercial Mortgage lending;
• Thorough knowledge of procedures and standards for credit correspondence;
• Thorough knowledge of local market, current economic conditions and political events;
• Thorough knowledge of time management techniques;
• Working knowledge of the Bank’s human resources policies and procedures;
• Working knowledge of products and services provide by the Bank’s specialized sales forces such as Enterprise Solutions products and services;
• Working knowledge of key products and services offered by other financial institutions and alternate sources of financing;
• Working knowledge of services provided by support areas such as Shared Services;
• Working knowledge of MS Word, Excel and other commercial systems and platforms.
Standard office environment is provided. If located in a branch environment, there is a risk of exposure to hold-ups, extortion, and bomb threats. Traveling within the market area is required. You face frequent deadlines. Customer demands are constant.
Location(s): Canada : British Columbia : Vancouver
As Canada’s International Bank, we are a diverse and global team. We speak more than 100 languages with backgrounds from more than 120 countries. We value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance please click here. Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Address 650 W Georgia St, Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Image Gallery