Closing Date: March 2, 2021
Reporting to the Senior Project Geologist or Project Geologist, the Drill Core Technician will perform their duties as a member of the GCMC team. They are primarily accountable for collecting detailed geotechnical data on drill core, performing geotechnical tests on drill core, photographing drill core, data entry and validation, and moving core boxes from receiving to core cutting, to support geotechnical advancement of the Project.
This position is based out of the Galore Creek Uhtlān Fly-in Access Camp in Northwestern BC. This is a defined term position for the 2021 summer field season and the successful candidate would be expected to be on site working on a rotational basis from June – Late September. The successful candidate would ideally have a start date in June 2021.
Located in northwestern British Columbia, Galore Creek is one of the world’s largest undeveloped porphyry copper-gold-silver deposits. Galore Creek Mining Corporation (GCMC), a partnership between Newmont Corporation and Teck Resources Limited, is committed to improving the project economics and advancing the asset towards development. Working closely with the Tahltan Nation and other local communities, we strive for excellence in all our activities, with continuous improvement and responsible practices that contribute to sustainable development.
- Be a courageous safety leader, leading by example and fostering a proactive safety and sustainability culture based on the common values of health, safety, environment, and communities shared by the asset owners (Teck and Newmont).
- Actively seek opportunities to recognize health and safety hazards, resolve safety issues and work to mitigate associated risks in the workplace.
- Work collaboratively, sharing information and knowledge with the project team.
- Accurately collect detailed geotechnical data on drill core to support geotechnical and structural modeling and pit designs.
- Conduct specific gravity measurements, point load and various in-situ tests.
- Assist geologists with the collection, organization and shipment of a variety of sample types.
- Safely moving core boxes using proper PPE, unloading and loading core benches, and stacking core on pallets.
- Photographing drill core, QA/QC of photo quality, labeling and storing of core photos.
- Utilize digital logging software; troubleshoot data entry errors.
- Work collaboratively with all members of the project team.
- Efficiently manage their time to achieve objectives.
- Communicate with supervisor on a regular basis and report on a timely basis.
KEY COMPETENCIES, KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Currently enrolled in, or recent graduate of, a Geological Sciences, Geological or Civil Engineering program, or related technical Diploma. Relevant field experience will also be considered.
- Previous experience working as a geotechnical technician is considered an asset.
- Knowledge of drilling procedures is an asset.
- Experience with digital data entry, comfortable with use of computers, tablets and digital data files.
- Comfortable with math, the use of calculators and measuring tapes.
- Ability to safely and comfortably lift 40 lbs. core boxes.
- Experienced with digital cameras and digital picture file types is an asset.
- Experience working in a diverse and multicultural environment. Ability to liaise with contractors and all persons on site in a respectful and professional manner.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to work as an effective project team member.
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s license is an asset.
HOW TO APPLY
At Galore Creek, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Galore Creek respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Learn more about Galore Creek at www.gcmc.ca
- Address 550 Burrard Street, Vancouver, BC, Canada