The City of Courtenay invites applications for up to three positions of “Gardener 1 – Seasonal” in the Parks Maintenance Division of the Public Works Services Department. These are union positions subject to the terms and conditions in the collective agreement between the City and CUPE Local 556.
The successful candidates will participate in the care and maintenance of the City’s parks and greenspaces, performing a variety of horticultural and general maintenance tasks. These areas include, but are not limited to; sportsfields, parks turf areas, gardens, trails and walkways, boulevards, civic property landscapes and the Courtenay Civic Cemetery.
- Grade 12 or equivalency
- Completion of a one year certificate in Horticulture or a related discipline or an equivalent combination of experience and training.
- Valid BC Class 5 Drivers License
- Pesticide Applicator License or BCWWA Cross Connection or CIT Level 1 Irrigation Technician; other horticultural based licenses and or certifications will be considered
- Some (two years) within the last 5 years working directly in an horticulture focused position, such as municipal parks operations, golf course maintenance or landscape maintenance
- Criminal Record Check
Experience/ Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Sound knowledge of horticultural maintenance principles, practices and techniques
- Sound knowledge of native and ornamental plant material found in the coastal climate of Vancouver Island
- Demonstrated ability to perform a variety of horticultural practices related to the care and maintenance of plant material found in this geographic region
- Some knowledge of integrated pest management and the application of pesticides
- Some knowledge in the principles of landscape design and planning
- Some knowledge in the installation, repair, and operation of irrigation systems
- Good interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to deal with the public in a courteous and tactful manner
- Ability to work well as a member of a team and independently
- Ability to effectively oversee the work of others
- Ability to read landscape plans and occasionally use survey equipment
- Basic office computer skills
- Physical ability to continuously use hand tools, lift heavy objects, work in awkward positions, and stand and walk throughout the day; frequently climb ladders and work in inclement weather
Additional Requirements after Hiring:
- First Aid Emergency Level – Industry and CPR Level A Certification
- Traffic Control Certification
- WHMIS Certification
- Job related safety training
These are regular seasonal positions available soon. The current hourly wage rate is $32.14 based on a 40-hour work week.
Interested persons should submit a resume and cover letter clearly outlining how they meet the requirements for a Gardener 1 – Seasonal position through the APPLY button below, by February 21, 2021.
Date Posted: February 3, 2021
- Address 830 Cliffe Avenue, Courtenay, BC, Canada