Closing Date: September 30, 2019
Reporting to the Director, HSEC Software Project, the role of Manager, HSEC Software Project is accountable for providing subject-matter expertise and leadership in one or more HSEC disciplines as part of the Health and Safety, Environment and Community (HSEC) software transformation process currently underway within Teck. This role involves the application of the incumbent’s subject-matter knowledge and experience to the requirements, design, configuration and implementation of an integrated and fit-for-purpose set of software tools and digital technologies to support current and future business requirements. The role requires ongoing engagement and collaboration with other HSEC discipline specialists within Teck, including counterparts at operations and within business units, as well as functional area leadership at a corporate level. The incumbent must have a thorough and up to date understanding of management systems and Teck’s associated requirements and practices pertaining to the HSEC discipline(s) they represent, a sound working knowledge of the relevant HSEC software tools and digital technologies in use at Teck, and familiarity with the management of software projects and consultants.
The incumbent is an innovative thinker and a pragmatic problem solver who will work as part of an interdisciplinary team to create and lead the development and implementation of software and related technology solutions that add value to the business, satisfy current and future requirements across HSEC disciplines, and help end users to do their jobs. They are experienced practitioners in their respective discipline(s), with extensive practical and hands-on experience at an operational level, and have a working knowledge of supporting software tools and technologies. Although experienced in one or more HSEC disciplines, they also bring a perspective that enables them to identify and work collaboratively towards common solutions across disciplines. They have experience working within a schedule-driven project environment.
The incumbent must apply expert technical, interpersonal, communication and organizational change management skills in the development, implementation and use of integrated HSEC software tools and digital technologies that support strengthened HSEC management practices and enhanced HSEC performance. A close working relationship with the VPs of Health & Safety, Environment, Community and Government Relations, and with operations and functional teams is critical to success in the role.
The position is for 12-Month-Temporary position to start, with potential to become a three year temporary.
- Work in a collaborative and integrated fashion with subject-matter experts representing other disciplines: Supplement their own subject matter expertise with a broader perspective considering the needs of other disciplines, and seek out commonalities and pursue integration opportunities between those disciplines on which to anchor system design, development and implementation.
- Represent the relevant HSEC discipline on behalf of the transformation project: Bring significant experience and credibility from within the HSEC discipline(s) they represent, working with the project team and other discipline leaders in resolving functional and content issues; Be a primary point of reference for advice and feedback, including participation or delivery of communication and presentation materials for Teck audiences; Effectively utilize their internal Teck network of counterparts to gather opinions and advice to advance the project.
- Provide leadership and content expertise within the respective discipline: Be sufficiently well-versed in current and future developments within the discipline to inform the project; Lead people in and across disciplines through facilitation and resolution of issues; Identify and escalate issues that require decisions from a broader integrated HSEC and business perspective.
- Identify, assess and screen impacts of proposed changes related to software design and practice within the discipline: Serve as a bridge between the software vendor(s) and end users, understanding and representing user interests while simultaneously recognizing the constraints and limitations of the vendor’s offerings; Participate in testing and validation of system design and configuration in order to support the discipline-specific requirements as well as the user uptake and utilization of the system.
- Support organizational change management: Actively advocate for improved solutions and processes within the network of subject specialists and business leadership; Assist with training or preparation of training and communication materials where applicable.
- Prioritize and support provision of subject-specific content: Prioritize and manage configuration and design work related to their discipline, in consideration of work in other disciplines; Define and provide subject-content knowledge in defining data structures and subject-related content necessary for setting up the system; In collaboration with other disciplines and based on their experience, develop use cases and test scripts for the purpose of evaluating system design and configuration.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- A combination equivalent to not less than 10 years of experience in the relevant HSEC discipline, with a proven track record within Teck and/or the mining industry.
- Familiarity with best practices in Management System Standards (e.g. ISO), risk management, sustainability practices, regulatory requirements in key jurisdictions and HSEC-related technology developments.
- Solid computer skills and working knowledge of electronic data applications, databases and digital technologies.
- Experience with the use of instruments or technologies for collecting, managing, analyzing and evaluating HSEC-related data would be an asset.
- Strong interpersonal and influencing skills
- Effective communication skills, written and oral
- Demonstrated strategic thinker, with and ability to balance ‘outside the box’ thinking with a pragmatic view of what will work in practice
- Familiar with organizational change management principles and practices
- Demonstrated team player
- Process focused and results oriented
- Solid coaching skills
- Spanish language skills would be an asset
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2018, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the ninth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.
Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources.
- Address 550 Burrard Street, Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Image Gallery