Requisition ID: 14025
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world by 2020 and we are proud to be one of BC’s Top Employers, Canada’s Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world’s most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
This position is a senior management position in the Equipment Services branch responsible for the strategic planning of operational, regulatory compliance, and administrative activities. The position will collaborate with the branch Superintendents and department leaders to plan, manage, and oversee the operational work in order to comply with regulatory requirements, ensure efficient service delivery, and provide warranty, fuel, and insurance services.
The position plays a key role in developing, tracking and utilizing data analytics including operational metrics, writing reports and supporting business cases to inform business decisions, and leading special projects and operational initiatives that support innovation, and enhance service delivery in accordance with corporate and regulatory policies, practices and programs.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead management of National Safety Code compliance and provincial Commercial Vehicle Safety Enforcement regulatory inspections, audits, and maintenance compliance functions to ensure the City’s carrier profile status, inspection facility and preventative maintenance facility licenses are maintained
- Oversee the sustainment activities assigned to team for the Fleet and Inventory Management System (FIMS) implementation
- Oversee thefleet wide GPS and telematics program which is installed on 1,100 City vehicles
- Manage and direct work of Project Manager and Business Analyst staff that will support both the GPS and telematics and the FIMS programs and oversee the activities of assigned unionized and exempt staff
- Develop and report on key performance indicators relating to, GPS and telematics program, FIMS process improvements, regulatory compliance, warranty, and insurance claims to senior management
- Lead human resources activities for exempt and unionized staff and ensure application and adherence to Occupational Health and Safety program
- Lead in the intake, planning, and scheduling of operations work in the Branch
- Manage records, billing, and administrative staff Oversee the management of the warranty claim business to ensure maximum claims recovery
- Manage branch facilities, including carwash and fuel station.
- Direct the development, review and implementation of standard operating procedures and guidelines.
- Develop strong relationships with key stakeholder groups such as engineering design group, operations branches, Risk Management, Driver Services, and ICBC
Education and Experience:
- A bachelor’s degree in a related field such as Business or Operations Management with a minimum of 5 – 7 years of related experience with at least 2 years of experience in a management role in an operations environment, or an equivalent combination of education, experience and/or training
- Experience working in an operations environment, with a preference for experience related to fleet or manufacturing services planning
- Experience managing in a unionized environment, including overseeing complex labour relations issues, staff recruitments, performance management, effective supervision, discipline and grievance handling
- Demonstrated ability for strategic planning, long range operational planning and successful project implementation
- Experience creating and managing budgets and cost controls, as well as scheduling and work planning, leading, initiating, managing and implementing creative and innovative technical or process changes while ensuring buy-in from staff and other stakeholders
- Demonstrated experience in problem solving and conflict management
- A current and valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License or higher and a satisfactory driving record is a requirement of this position.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to prioritize work and meet organizational goals within a complex, high profile environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to write and present technical reports and letters and liaise with the public and other City departments
- Ability to set clear expectations for staff and to provide the vision and leadership necessary to provide best value services; set and meet performance goals and motivate and train employees to achieve desired results is necessary
- Demonstrated ability in contemporary supervisory techniques including coaching, mentoring, facilitation, dispute resolution, team development and effective employee relations
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively within a team and to promote productive and coordinated teams
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with MS Office software, particularly with the creation and use of spreadsheets, and the demonstrated ability to learn and use new software
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: October, 2019
Application Close: September 1, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Address 453 W 12th Ave, Vancouver, BC
- Image Gallery