POSTING NUMBER: 2019-42
POSITION: Mental Health Worker, Temporary Full Time (Casual) until return of incumbent
UNION: HEU – Community Subsector Association
PROGRAM: Beckman House, Maple Ridge
SALARY RANGE: $24.38 – $26.42, Night Shift Premium: additional $2.00/hr
HOURS OF PAY: 37.5 hours per week
SCHEDULE: Tuesday – Saturday: 2300 hrs – 0700 hrs
START DATE: ASAP
All candidates subject to a criminal records search.
Qualifications and job description attached.
Please indicate posting number 2019-42 when sending applications and resumes to:
Applications no later than 4 p.m. Monday, May 27, 2019
** Days and hours of work may change.
At MPA Society, the unique capabilities and talents of our employees are our greatest asset. We believe that a diverse workforce and inclusive workplace culture enhance our ability to work in partnership with the diverse communities and people we serve. MPA Society hires on the basis of merit, and we encourage applications from all qualified individuals.
Job Description – Mental Health Worker
Classification Benchmark: Support Worker 2
Grid Level: Grid 34
Collective Agreement: Community Subsector Association
Reports To: Nurse Manager
The Mental Health Worker must have the personality, temperament and competence to work with residents in a licensed care environment. The incumbent should be well motivated and have the ability to motivate others. This position requires shift work and under direction assists residents with activities of daily living and generally does role modeling in a manner that will maintain and respect the spirit, dignity and individuality of others. Care for residents and the facility comes under the supervision of the Nurse Manager.
Functions & Responsibilities
While other duties may be assigned, main duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Under direction, to assists members with activities of daily living.
- Recommend and participate in developing meaningful, realistic and measurable individual care plans.
- To assess, monitor and record members’ needs and progress on a daily basis and/or as needed.
- Encourage an atmosphere of independence, self-reliance and mutual accord by role modeling, teaching and training. Areas to be addressed are daily life skills, money management, making and keeping appointments and other related duties as they arise.
- To plan, implement and evaluate social and recreational programs in the facility and encouraging participation in the community events as directed.
- Administer medications and treatments in accordance with the Pharmacy Policies, standards and philosophy. Assess impact of medications by documenting impressions.
- Ensure safety in the work place in accordance with WorksafeBC standards and regulations.
- Assist with orientation of new staff and members.
- Assist residents and co-workers with house cleaning on a daily, weekly, monthly and annual basis.
- Prepare, cook and serve meals in accordance with Food Safe Standards and weekly posted menu. Monitor food supplies by listing needed items and rotating supplies.
- Perform yard maintenance by raking and bagging leaves, shoveling snow and salting sidewalks as required.
- Perform any other duties as assigned.
Education, Training & Experience
To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representing the knowledge, skills and ability needed.
- High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED)
- Mental Health Worker Certificate from a recognized college/university in social/behavioral science.
- Food Hygiene Certificate/Community Care Food Handlers Certificate
- Two years related experience
- Emergency Firs Aid Certificate/C.P.R. Certificate
- Current Driver’s License
- Medical Certification of capability of carrying out assigned duties
- Compliance with the TB immunization program of the Ministry of Health
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating/maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspond proficiently.
- Ability to apply common sense, understanding and carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Address Maple Ridge, BC, Canada