Product Owner – RACE21™
Posting Date: October 10, 2019
Closing Date: December 31, 2019
Teck Resources Ltd. is Canada’s largest diversified natural resource company with a strong history of innovation over the last 100 years. The RACE21™ team is leading the charge in a company-wide renewal of technology and infrastructure, transforming mining for the next generation.
With financial backing and commitment from leadership, Teck envisions a fully integrated, agile, digital platform that will Renew, Automate, and Connect materials, processes, equipment flows, and data systems to expand and enable a broad application of advanced analytics, robotics, and artificial intelligence. As well as Empower employees to unleash their creativity and innovation at work, increasing sustainability, safety, and performance in real time, unlocking resource base knowledge and improving planning for optimal resource extraction.
Reporting to the Manager of Product, the Product Owner, RACE21™ is responsible for developing and driving the product vision and strategy. They will provide constant feedback to the team and help the team to follow this vision. Their biggest challenge is to ensure that the team knows with accurate detail what they are expected to build. This PO must develop a deep understanding of the target market/industry, build close relationships with key stakeholders which are located at mining sites and corporate offices, and define the business strategy for the product.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Set ambitious and clear product vision and communicate effectively to key stakeholders
- Own the end-to-end product strategy from inception, and determine business value once the product enters production
- Build backlog of product features, and write user stories and acceptance criteria
- Improve backlog ensuring all items are clearly described, estimated, and prioritized
- Ensure internal client-driven design considering user pain points and usability test results, while using industry knowledge to deliver a well-positioned product
- Approve each feature and provide valuable feedback for the team
- Drive sprints and release plans together with the rest of the team
- Exercise strong decision making mandate from executive group to own product end-to-end
- Work with Technical Lead/Architect to build a modular and reusable solution
- Deep knowledge of relevant domains, products, and journeys
- Solid knowledge of industry trends, user demands, and pain points, to be able to create a high value product vision
- Comfortable enough with technology to be able to engage in discussion with tech team and understand risks
- Experience in Agile Development, with specific Product Owner (or similar) experience preferred, should be confident in managing a backlog
- Strong communication skills with ability to communicate complex messages and tradeoffs
- Ability to work as a translator between site stakeholders and the product team
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to build relationships with, and influence, a diverse group of stakeholders
- Strong problem solving skills with the ability to lead a team to a solution and progress
- Passion to challenge status quo, to find new solutions, and drive out of the box ideas
- Not afraid to go outside of their comfort zone to learn
- Experimental mindset to drive innovation
- Mining industry experience would be an asset
- Ability to travel to our sites in British Columbia 20-40% of the time
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2019, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the tenth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.
- Address 550 Burrard Street, Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Image Gallery