|City:||Vancouver, BC, Canada|
|Location:||Vancouver H/O – Canfor/CWPM_1000 (BC13)|
Canfor’s strength comes from the diversity of our skilled and resilient workforce. As our company continues to grow and diversify, so do our career opportunities. Let us take this opportunity to tell you how you could be the best fit for Canfor.
The Senior ORACLE Database Administrator (DBA) is responsible for all aspects of corporate database strategy, planning, security, implementation, consulting, and technical support. The DBA evaluates, selects, and implements database software, utilities, and hardware to meet corporate business systems requirements according to the principles and policies of Information Technology architecture as defined by senior management.
The goal of the Database Administrator is to develop efficient and effective facilities and procedures for the design, storage, maintenance, and protection of the corporate data resource. The position generally is involved in a number of projects at once and may require work outside of regular business hours. This position will also participate in on-call rotation for IT operations support and up to 15% travel may be involved.
This role can be based out of either our Head Office in Vancouver, BC or our Canfor Administration Centre in Prince George, BC.
Database & Strategy Planning
- Develop and evolve a Database strategy which defines the Information infrastructure necessary to meet Canfor systems requirements in a cost-optimized, secure, reliable, performance efficient, operationally excellent, and timely manner.
- Evaluate and recommend new Database technologies or enhancements as they become available and are appropriate to the business requirements.
- Perform Database architecture design and planning activities to implement Database technologies for all divisions.
- Develop and implement Database security standards and guidelines.
- Develop programs, utilities, and scripts to assist in controlling and reporting of Database security and access.
- Develop and implement backup and recovery strategies for all Databases.
- Monitor and maintain Database integrity.
- Working with the Security Team, implement secure infrastructure strategies, systems, and projects
- Consulting directly with an IT Security Administrator to ensure that Database system security procedures are consistent with Corporate policy.
- Develop processes for optimizing database security.
- Manage database access.
- Responsible for installation, patching, upgrades, and managing database applications.
- Performance tuning & optimization of database systems.
- Responsible for participating in Technical Deep-Dives including Root Cause Analysis
- Mentoring and educating IT Infrastructure and IT team members on database – technical, process, and best practices.
- Diagnose and troubleshoot database errors.
- Create and manage database reports, visualizations, and dashboards.
- Project management for internal IT infrastructure projects
- Responsible for ensuring projects deliver on the database infrastructure architectural requirements
- Technical School diploma Database Administration or a University degree plus a minimum of 10 years progressively more responsible experience in Information Services including at least 5 years as a Database Administrator OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated experience with ORACLE database, and other database technologies
- Impeccable attention to detail
- Advanced knowledge of database security, backup and recovery, and performance monitoring standards
- Proficient in ITIL strategies and operations
- Uses systematic and logical approach to analyzing problems and researching information. Explores various alternatives and implements action plans to resolve problems
- Self-starter, able to work independently with minimal supervision
- Strong mathematical and statistical knowledge
Skills and Abilities:
- Strong command of SQL and SQL server tools
- Demonstrated experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Demonstrated experience with Virtualization Technologies such as VMware, and Citrix
- Demonstrated experience with Microsoft Technologies including Windows, Active Directory, etc.
- Demonstrated experience with Linux
- Demonstrated experience with storage systems such as NAS and SAN
- Experience with Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity planning
- An extensive knowledge of Networking and Internet based protocols such as TCP/IP, DNS, Ethernet, VPN, etc.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Capacity and Performance Planning, & Monitoring
- Working knowledge of System Interfaces and EDI
- Understanding of relational and dimensional data modeling
- PowerShell and Unix/Linux shell scripting skills
Our Talent Acquisition team is actively recruiting on this role and in order to be considered, please apply today!
At Canfor, diversity means understanding, recognizing and valuing the differences that make each person unique. We see inclusion and diversity as an essential part of our productivity, creativity, innovation and competitive advantage. We strive for a fair and equitable recruitment process, where hiring decisions are based on the individual qualifications and experience of each applicant.
We are not your run of the mill forest products company, join us and find out why. #canfortalent
The city of Vancouver is both a natural beauty and a progressive urban centre, a rare place on earth that is idyllic and electric all at once. With one of Canada’s mildest climates, Vancouver is ideally suited for those devoted to outdoor pursuits, health and wellness. Along with its endless supply of fresh air and clean water, Vancouver also boasts countless choices for culturally diverse, world-class cuisine and an inventory of arts and entertainment events. For more information, visit http://canfor.com/our-company/our-communities/vancouver
- Address 100 -1700 W 75th Ave, Vancouver, BC, Canada