Do you love technology and know how to use it? Do you thrive on the daily challenges of working in a constantly evolving field? For members of Best Buy’s Information Technology Team, the answer is “Yes.” More than techies, our IT team members bring planning, strategy and even communication skills to bear in helping the company grow.The infrastructure platform team is responsible for supporting and developing Best Buy’s IT server infrastructure, including both operational and project responsibilities.
Reporting to the Technical Lead, you will implement best practice solutions and use your considerable knowledge of Automation to improve designs and services across the Infrastructure Department. You will have the opportunity to work with the team on complex technical problems and implement solutions as you manage and support our enterprise scale Linux & Windows servers infrastructure. With an emphasis on oversight and improvement of a diverse array of services, you will be part of a team that makes significant use of automation and monitoring tools as we undertake a wide variety of projects that deliver real quantifiable value to Best Buy Canada.
As a Systems Engineer you will…
- Establish, manage, and optimize our automation and orchestration capabilities to increase efficiencies and improve service for critical systems delivering patient care.
- Identify duplicate or redundant functions, automate deployments and data collection tasks, and establish continuous improvement programs to mature and expand capabilities and scope.
- Develop, implement, and maintain strategies and architecture to increase automation.
- Design, build and architect for automation and orchestration. Contribute to business case development to secure funding.
- Develop and maintain a catalogue of automation and orchestration requirements, deployed capabilities, and expected benefits.
- Recommend orchestration tool set requirements, product selection, and implementation support of selected tool(s). Maintain tool platform, configuration, and administrative requirements.
- Work with monitoring teams to assess first alert and surveillance monitoring to identify opportunities to define autonomous remediation.
- Define and implement autonomous actions for candidate infrastructure alerts. Monitor and confirm autonomous actions function.
- Automate deployments and data collection.
- Develop, implement, and maintain testing platforms to validate proposed infrastructure configuration changes before implementation.
- Build reports and dashboards to monitor autonomous actions and track/validate expected benefits including efficiency gains, avoidance of service outages and reduction in duration of service outages when they occur.
- Integrate autonomous actions and capabilities with existing Service Management and infrastructure monitoring tools.
- Work with Operations teams to define and implement autonomous actions and identify opportunities to expand automation and orchestration capabilities. Develop and implement strategies to improve release, change, Incident, and problem management practices and outcomes.
- Orient and train Operations teams on topics including automation and orchestration tools, techniques, processes, and controls.
- Troubleshoot automation and orchestration issues during and outside of normal business hours. Perform scheduled maintenance on orchestration tools.
We hope you are passionate about…
- Innovation – as a tech company we are constantly changing and evolving; an openness and willingness to embrace change is critical
- Logic and critical thinking – we’re largely a data driven company so consideration of all angles and viewpoints is vital
- Having fun while being the best – we work hard but play harder
The experience we need…
- Education, training, and experience equivalent to a university degree in a relevant program, such as computer technology.
- 4+ years’ of recent experience with monitoring and automation / orchestration tools (vendor certification and/or equivalent designation is preferred).
- The ability to work will in small teams of diversely skill members.
- Knowledge of / experience with current orchestration frameworks.
- Experience implementing autonomous actions to remediate infrastructure alerts for network and server infrastructure in an enterprise environment.
- Experience with centralized infrastructure monitoring and management tools.
- Experience with troubleshooting protocols including a strong understanding of TCP/IP and DNS.
- Advanced experience with scripting and configuration automation using Python, MS orchestrator, Netconf, Ansible, Puppet or similar tools.
- Exposure to technology disciplines including enterprise / solution architecture and infrastructure maintenance practices desired.
- Sound judgment and decision making skills.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Address 8800 Glenlyon Parkway, Burnaby, BC, Canada