– Surrey Stand Up for Housing (stop displacement and healthy homes).
– Provincial Vacancy Control and COVID Rent Freeze campaigns
Raise the Rates
– Permanent extension of the $300 per month COVID emergency benefit
Internet for All
– Force Shaw Cable to provide $10 High Speed Internet for low income people
– This year our campaign forced Telus to provide $10 internet to all people on disability and social assistance in Alberta and BC.
- Work with ACORN leaders to expand both our local fights against tenant displacement, renovictions, and demovictions, as well as the larger provincial fights for Real Rent Control and COVID Rent Freeze.
- Work with our staff trainers in BC and Ontario on a day to day basis.
- 42.5 hours per week – working in afternoons and evenings Monday through Friday.
- Fundraising and asking for money is a fundamental part of an organizer’s job. We are structured like a union: ACORN members pay membership dues.
- Willing and able to travel to training, and staff meetings (some outside of Canada). **COVID has drastically changed our travel***
- Dealing with multiple tasks in the same day – flexibility and resilience are keys to success.
- Representing the organization in the neighbourhoods, as well as with our leadership at external meetings or events (allies or targets).
- Have strong social and people skills.
- Be willing to work in a team setting that you are sometimes leading, and sometimes following.
- Ability to listen in order identify issues that are affecting our constituency.
- No paid experience required; professional organizer training provided
- Base compensation is $34,523 annually + transportation allowance (approx $75 per mo) + phone allowance ($20 per mo)
- Health benefits and RRSP retirement program included after 6 months.
- Compensation $34,000 CAD $34,000 Month
- Address 630b Carnarvon St, New Westminster, British Columbia V3M 1E5, Canada